Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300TD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to see her go, but I'm moving and so I got to let her go.

5 Cylinder 3.0L Turbo
Automatic
141,xxx Miles
2nd owner
Clean inside and out

In terms of the work that was done on her. The tires I had replaced, all 4, with all season Pirelli P4, a couple of years ago. Still lots of tread left on them. Had all 4 shocks replaced with Bilstein's. The back rear disc rotors were replaced with Beck Arnley's.The back right rear brake caliper was replaced. All 5 glow plugs were replaced. Starter was replaced along with the battery.

I do have some extra parts that I intended to use to change on her but never got the time around to do so myself. They include:

8 quarts of 15w-40 castrol gtx diesel engine oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter, both primary and secondary
New set of front brake pads along with the sensors
Fuel treatment
I did replace the windshield wiper inserts
I do have a new downpipe that I bought a while back. For some reason I just ended up buying it, because back when I was younger i thought that it would help increase HP, I was dumb and naive. :)

$4000 OBO
Located Southern Cali.

Serious Buyers.
Call for more info 805-660-9601

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
beautiful car!!!!! and off topic but the parking lot looks like the glendale galleria. =0)

·
Registered
1984 280SE Euro, 1988 300SE, 2000 SL500, 2002 CLK55 AMG
574 Posts
Beautiful car, I've actually been looking for something with better gas mileage than my car for my daily driver, but the price is a little too high on this. GLWS!

·
Registered
1985 300D - 1997 E320 - 2004 E55 - 2007 ML320
812 Posts
Too bad you're not on the East Coast. I'm looking for a 85' in Silver, but with black interior. I would consider swapping in the black because there are so many out here with black interior and its an easy swap.

·
Registered
574 Posts
@AMG Fanatic

What price range would you be looking at?
Just askin to see.
I'd have to see the car before I could give you a price, I hate to negotiate not in person. Also, was just looking at your previous posts and you stated their were problems with the cars starter (which you seemed to fix) but there was also a problem with the tranny. Did you get that fixed or rebuilt by any chance? Any other issues with the car that you know of?

Please let me know, I also live in the L.A area so I might be able to come take a look at her. Thanks.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300TD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did end up getting a new starter a couple of years ago. Along with a new battery which I had tested and replaced in June on this year. I also had the glow plugs replaced along with the fuel return lines. In terms of the tranny, I only changed the fluid and filter, back then. Don't seem to have any noticeable problems with the tranny. The downfall is that the A/C doesn't work. Compressor seized up. But if you want to come and see it let me know. I live on the boarder of LA and Ventura County, so if you'd like we could meet up to show the car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You're pretty close to me then, I actually live in the Valley.

I'm a little worried that the A/C repair might be costly though. Definitely need to get that checked out with all the 100+ degree weather we're having. Did you check to see how much it would cost to replace the compressor?

I'll give you a call this weekend if I have time; I've been very busy this week but hopefully I'll be able to see the car this weekend if the time works out for us.

·
Registered
1984 MB 380SL, 1988 MB 560SL, 1983 MB 300CD, 1984 MB 300SD, 1985 MB 300
126 Posts
Your car is priced very fairly. For some reason, many think the car should be thousands less??? A nice 300D with these low miles and in excellent shape sell for more than your asking price. I would not neg. I just sold on Monday a 84 300D with 131,000 miles for $7500. Buyer did not neg.!

Richard

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300TD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're pretty close to me then, I actually live in the Valley.

I'm a little worried that the A/C repair might be costly though. Definitely need to get that checked out with all the 100+ degree weather we're having. Did you check to see how much it would cost to replace the compressor?

I'll give you a call this weekend if I have time; I've been very busy this week but hopefully I'll be able to see the car this weekend if the time works out for us.
The A/C to get fixed would probably run close to a $1000 to get it fixed. This is due to the fact that you would potentially need to convert to R134a from R12. I could look into how much it would cost with a local merc mechanic. But if that was the case would you still be interested. We never went ahead with trying to fix the A/C because we just got use to the heat, but I cant speak for us all, especially in this weather. :)

Let me know when you can meet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I Love these cars, and am not in the market at present, but if I was I'd fly down and drive home. To me, IMHO, $4000 for a California car with 141K miles is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The A/C to get fixed would probably run close to a $1000 to get it fixed. This is due to the fact that you would potentially need to convert to R134a from R12. I could look into how much it would cost with a local merc mechanic. But if that was the case would you still be interested. We never went ahead with trying to fix the A/C because we just got use to the heat, but I cant speak for us all, especially in this weather. :)

Let me know when you can meet.
Converting over to R134a is not complicated. I've done it on both my 300D and my dad's 300SD. Using conversion kits that cost around $50. The hardest part is having the system evacuated, which in this case doesnt sound like it needs to be done if he system isn't working. These cars have pretty simple A/C systems compared to others. The hardest part I'd say is replacing an evaporator. More than likely there is a leak somewhere. If I were to buy the car I'd hook a gauge set up and pull a vacuum on it. Find the leak which probably is just a seal and the covert the system over.

I think the price is pretty reasonable. If it had black interior I would jump on it even being across the country in NJ. The car looks well cared for and is a beauty. All I would ask for is a video of it running showing under the hood. The OM617's have a very distinct sound when properly adjusted and it's easy to tell by the sound and comparison of the engine speed. And for the age of the car the mileage is extremely low. My 85 300D has 389k and all original. Properly taken care of by my dad who is a retired diesel mechanic.

GLWS.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300TD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can definitely get a video of it running. Is there any way to post it here ordo I need to link it to YouTube?

I really enjoyed working on this car while I could. It was just so easy to do so. You don't have to mess that much with all the electrical and sensor which are so common in the newer cars.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I can definitely get a video of it running. Is there any way to post it here ordo I need to link it to YouTube?
The easiest way is to put it on youtube and post a link here. For some reason Iframes won't work here.

I really enjoyed working on this car while I could. It was just so easy to do so. You don't have to mess that much with all the electrical and sensor which are so common in the newer cars.
Yes there is nothing electronic about them. Complete mechanical diesel fuel injection. Injection pumps work just like a distributor on an old gas engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A new a/c compressor for these cars is less than $200 at any mcparts place. Take your a/c hoses off and take them to any hydralic shop. They can replace the hoses for next to nothing. Get a new dryer at the mcparts place. Go to an old school car repair shop and have them evacuate it and put back in the original r-12. The a/c will work like new.
If you choose to go the r134 route, I have heard it will not cool as well as the original r12. Not necessary to convert. R-12 is still available at Nappa. The young kids behind the counter dont know any better until they look it up in their cataloge.
Very nice wheels! Chrome bundts NICE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts