Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up for sale is my '83 280SE, the CL ad below about says it all, but a few more notes for the Benz-wise:

This has the trunk triangle and the fire extinguisher, and glass Bosch H4 euro lights.
The head on the M110 was rebuilt last year and has had 6k miles since, it runs great with plenty of power.
Among other documentation, I have photos from the importation back in the 80s.

There's really no story of woe here, I just want to focus on my 107, 123, and 140 projects.

1983 Mercedes Benz 280SE

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
OMG she's beautiful! Is that Lapis Blue Or another blue. No matter she is awesome.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Looks nice and I like the color, only thing I'd change is the wheels.

Good luck with sale!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it's Nautical Blue, and the paint is original.

The wheels are what they are because I don't care to spend the appropriate amount of time cleaning Bundts nor do I like the prices of the tiny tires that fit them.

I also have a nearly infinite supply of used Michelins, Continentals, and Pirellis in 17" sizes, for about $25 apiece, whenever I need any. And the SL wheels fit perfectly with no clearance issues and use factory 126 lug bolts. Given the above situation, I imagine you'd choose similarly. I can source a set of Bundts if someone just has to have them to make the deal, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beautiful car and close to me. If I weren't broke from the holidays I would come look. GLWS.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
I do really like this car, and can't help but wonder what kind of mpg you get from the 280. I know it probably isn't ever above 20mpg (assuming there's no way a w126 could do more mpg than a 107 with the same drivetrain).

The blue is beautiful, and every time I see euro headlights on a w126 sedan (SE specifically) I get a little excited.

I really like this car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get about 19 mpg, so good call. I got 21 cruising to Palm Springs, so maybe the aero of the 126 body helps? This one has crank windows in back, and manual seats. 126s don't get a lot lighter than this one.

I'm going to leaf through the service records, but IIRC it had a trans rebuild in '05, new calipers and pads in 09, and it's about as rust free as you can imagine a 30 yr old anything to be. don't mean to oversell but this is really sweet for a 126, if it were a real 500SE it would be staying with me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words. I am curious, after a bit of correspondence with interested parties, what are the "hot buttons" to push for someone who would actually want to buy a eurospec 126. Because I am a bit disheartened.

This car runs, accelerates, and stops well. The cosmetics are not perfect; there are two cracks in the dash of under 0.5 inch in length, and for that matter, the vinyl is not tight on the b-pillars. Touch-up paint has been used on some nicks in the paint job. None of this is apparent when sitting in either front seat nor when standing 5 feet from the car. It probably won't pass CA smog; it's a grey market M110. When the previous owner added a power-saving Sanden compressor, it went R134a. Big deal? Apparently so. That, and Michelins mounted on factory Mercedes wheels aren't apparently good enough, some people need them to be Bundts, which I hate. If you are being absolutely critical, I suppose you can find fault with the slight dampness on the steering box, and the Bilsteins are probably 10 years old.

This is more a vent session than anything else, what can I say? This is a very nice, non-neglected, enthusiast owned W126 with the preferred lights and bumpers, and it blows the doors off that 560SEL down at the used car lot on the corner- you know the one, with liffter noise, timing chain rattle, inoperative door locks, and torn up seats, $1995? There's one in every town!

·
Registered
177 Posts
That is a very nice looking car. Being local in Phoenix I am always looking on the local CL to find interesting old cars and I actual saw your car the other day.

Considering "hot button" issues, maybe you could emphasize what makes this car unique from your typical w126... The cloth interior (which I assume it has from the door panels, but you can't see as they are covered), the engine (maybe add a picture) and the manual climate controls, bumpers, headlights, etc.

For whatever its worth, it seems like the market for older MB's seems pretty soft, particularly in Phoenix.

Regarding that fact that its grey market, a lot of people may be interested in the documentation of EPA/DOT when it was imported if it is available. Does it pass AZ emissions, that might be helpful to post in the add too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm. No one has asked after any certification of EPA/DOT although that is clearly spelled out in the label affixed in the door jamb; even if it were not present, once in is past 25 yrs there is no further need for this certification apart from state emissions regs. Which it neatly handled, as stated in the ad; the registration is current and in Maricopa Co. That will not be possible without passing emissions which it has done.

I guess I figured that this will either sell to someone who knows exactly what it is, and needs no elaboration, or to someone who just wants a clean shiny car with no needs, and doesn't particularly care what it is. You can't buy a 2000 Mitsubishi or Hyundai for what I'm asking for this; I don't see any reason why it should be any cheaper, any car that runs, smogs, has AC, and has no paint issues will generally fetch 3000 these days.

Insurance for this costs me $8 per month and the registration is about $20 annually. either someone will pay the ask or close, or I'll have a really sweet airport, loan to guests, and general spare w126. So it goes...

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
and it blows the doors off that 560SEL down at the used car lot on the corner- you know the one, with liffter noise, timing chain rattle, inoperative door locks, and torn up seats, $1995? There's one in every town!
100 % ,hang in there , you have a nice car for sale. Someone will wake up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think most people are just trying to find lots of ways to try and get the price down. It's a Euro but it doesn't have "blah blah" or it's a N.A. with Euro bumpers but no "blah blah." etc.

Any car I have bought I have pretty much bought on the spot. I either know I want it immediately or am "half" into it - if I am the latter I just walk away. Because if I didn't walk away, I would start over analyzing and looking for a steal price to make it worth my while to ease the buyers remorse. And I DON'T want to be THAT guy wasting a sellers time.

Someone will grab your car soon enough who is looking for exactly a 280SE Euro. I probably would if it were closer for a daily driver.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Price reduction: $3300 for any BW member or referral. AS for the CL ad... I am thinking of raising the price there, the better to cut down on the idiot factor.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, the price has been raised on CL and the price has been lowered here. $3000 takes it. I am asking considerably more than that on CL to foil those who think they'll offer half price... But seriously... No interest?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like most Mercedes, it is an automatic, shifts well...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Beautiful car! The wheels look great on it. I would NOT go any lower on that price. Unfortunately with niche cars sometimes you have to wait, and sometimes there knocking down your door to get to it.

Someone will show up with cash and take it away by the end of the month.
Good luck!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the kind words! I swear, CL people will be the end of me... I've been trying to think of a diplomatic way of saying that I've never actually sold a car to someone demanding more pictures of this or that, and that by doing this, you're just going into the "not serious" file... Because I have heard a ton of this in the past few weeks,and no actual making appointments to see the car or discussion of payment method. Every time I sell a car, the non-serious buyers grow more numerous...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
macntex
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing