Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TDT
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In short, I bought this wagon in Houston 6 years ago with the intent of restoring. My initial area of focus was the mechanics. I had the transmission rebuilt for a couple grand (have receipt) and set out restoring the engine myself under the supervision of an old benz mechanic (a friend). As you will see in the photo link below, we did a lot of work, truly a labor of love. Upon completion of the drive train, I took the car home and began slowly breaking in the engine. After only a thousand miles or so, a previously undiscovered hairline crack in the head opened up. The car was immediately shut off and towed back to the mechanic's. At this point, I didn't have any more time to invest in the work, and paid him to change the head and inspect for additional damage. A few weeks later, he returned the car to me. However it didn't seem the same. I moved up to Dallas at that time and brought the car with me. I used it as a daily driver for another year, until it overheated driving back from work. I haven't invested any time into her, and unfortunately she has begun rotting under the sun. The paint has faded and chipped. At one time I calculated that I have poured about 7k into this wagon. I hate to see it go, and had always hoped that I would find the time to tear it back down again, paint it and restore it. It's been several years and my wife (who never was a fan) has gotten quite sick of looking at it. Accepting offers / ideas.

Photos in this link are 5 years old. As mentioned above, current state is sad. Paint fade and rot.

300 Turbo Diesel Wagon pictures by cchkaiban - Photobucket

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
So it started out like this:

And ended up like this??

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
?

I don't mean to be critical, but this is a very confusing listing. The car looks great in some photos, lousy in others. The wheels are different; the houses in the background are different. WTF is going on here? Maybe a little clarity on the part of the owner would be helpful???
B

·
Registered
1982 300TDT
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry if I haven't been very clear. I bought the car in Houston, where all of the early work was done. All the photos of working on the engine and transmission were in Houston. The pictures of the car with the original wheels were also in Houston before the work was completed. when I found the car the paint was also very rough. As I said, I moved to Dallas where I rented a small cottage for the summer, those are the pictures in the tall grass and in the barn. the last 3 pictures I posted are in my driveway in McKinney, Texas. Wheels and rubber are in great condition.

·
Registered
1983 300TD wagon
22 Posts
Is there any rust? How is the interior and dash? Does it currently run? How hard did it overheat? Email me as I am looking to replace my rusted out 1983 300TD. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts