Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Any chances of this working with a m117, a 450slc 5.0, an early one? That's about a 230hp engine. I am not far from you and could easily pick this up.

Why are you selling?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Any chances of this working with a m117, a 450slc 5.0, an early one? That's about a 230hp engine. I am not far from you and could easily pick this up.

Why are you selling?

That'd be awesome if it did.... I know getrag was the manufacturer of the very rare manual box I believe AMG offered for the m117.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Right. The bell housing is the trick.

I think these are much more common in the 16v cars. Reading this, it does look like there was an Amg power pack option that made a 225 hp version of this car. I just wonder if this is the same transmission that Amg put on the cars that were 230hp before swapping out the single overhead cams, which I think pushed the hp up to nearly 300hp. (I believe I have an engine with those cams waiting for me). So that would be about 50% more horsepower than what is likely in this w201. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W201

Then of course there is the bell housing and all the work required to install it. My 450slc 5.0 that has already been converted into a convertible is probably an ideal candidate for this though since the car will never again be "factory" by any means. It is now a "tuner" collector as opposed to a factory collector. (perhaps I use the term collector loosely.)

Anyway:
Amgviper: I am interested.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Right. The bell housing is the trick.

I think these are much more common in the 16v cars. Reading this, it does look like there was an Amg power pack option that made a 225 hp version of this car. I just wonder if this is the same transmission that Amg put on the cars that were 230hp before swapping out the single overhead cams, which I think pushed the hp up to nearly 300hp. (I believe I have an engine with those cams waiting for me). So that would be about 50% more horsepower than what is likely in this w201. Mercedes-Benz W201 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then of course there is the bell housing and all the work required to install it. My 450slc 5.0 that has already been converted into a convertible is probably an ideal candidate for this though since the car will never again be "factory" by any means. It is now a "tuner" collector as opposed to a factory collector. (perhaps I use the term collector loosely.)

Anyway:
Amgviper: I am interested.

You've been around long enough I'm sure you've seen the "Manual transmissions for m117" thread in the 126 section. If not take a look, some good info in there. If I read correctly, if yours was an earlier 4.5 117 with the cast iron block certain manuals would be a direct bolt on. I'm assuming all of the 5.0's are the alusil block.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1270629-m117-manual-transmission-7.html

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
I have a 73 with a cast 4.5 low compression block (~190hp) that I am getting ready to unload. It might no be a bad candidate, especially if this getrag is determined to not be able to handle the higher power 5.0.

However, the aluminum block 5.0 that I have is slightly different being one of the first made, different than that which went into the 500slc and the 500s of the 80s. That is the car that I had in mind.

I will read the thread, and I was aware it existed, but wanted to see what came back at me. Thanks for saving me the search. (I don't live on the 126 forum, and Wasn't sure exactly what I should search for.). So thank you!

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea, you might want to check the forum or give it a shot. PM me if interested

I'm selling it because it came out of my parts car. It needed entirely too much body work, paint work, interior work and the rebuilt engine that came with it needed to be installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts