Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's been over two months and still no luck. My camshaft sensor is new and no oil was even found in, or on the harness. Still dealing with the light. I replaced the tube going into the intake manifold since the bracket was busted on the intercooler. The car had been in a front end collision before. I am starting to think the intercooler where the plastic meets the metal may be broken.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
1 Posts
On my 1999 SLK230, the vacuum lines across the front of the engine go in and out of hard plastic tubing. The hard tubing was broke inside a sheath and 2 rubber sections making the connections had cracked elbows. I would replace all vac lines with new, high temp hose and proper fitting couplings. Then unplug, clean and reseat the electrical plug at the vacuum valve, under front engine, pops off from bottom.

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's been a good 9 months since I have updated this thread. There is a significant dent in bottom section of the intercooler. We believe that the damage may have caused a crack somewhere. Originally, this car had been in a front end collision. The AMG sport bumper was replaced with a non-sport from the 1998 year prior to it being sold to us.

We will be replacing the intercooler based on the infamous ebay mod intercooler using a universal 28"x7"x2.5" one.

I am also on the hunt for the original sport package bumper for this year car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
P0410 Error

Hey Mongo,

Let me know if the intercooler was the problem. My P0410 error came back and no one seems to know what is causing it. I have tried everything. My car was involved in a front end collision many years ago. I'm wondering if there was damage to the intercooler at that time that I just can't see. We have tried a smoke test and could not see any leakage. Were you able to find a leakage with a smoke test?

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you replaced that check valve at the back of the motor, and it's still on, you could try cleaning the MAF first before ruling out the intercooler. The 410code is that secondary injection valve at the back of the motor. Most people replacing this were successful in keeping the light off. However, if you have multiple codes like I do, which are 410 and 243, it could be a loss of boost due to a leak or malfunctioning recirculating air flap. In my case, I replaced this bypass valve already, cleaned the MAF and still have issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Mongo,

Yeah I've cleaned the MAF even replaced it before. This code is really annoying as it seems to appears everyday now. I use my OBD2 to clear the code but sure enough it returns. I bought an A grade used intercooler for under a $100.00 I'll get it changed out and see if there is a difference. The recirculating air flap seems to be functioning normally. I've change the check valve several times. The only other thing that Mercedes says to do is change the entire wiring harness but I don't believe it could be the harness as this code seems to appear on cold start in the winter months. They are just making a list of perfectly good parts to change out. I think if it was the wiring harness it would just appear all the time despite the weather.
Thanks

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Let me know about your intercooler change. We are holding off a little on the intercooler since there are other cars to service at the moment, which are of higher priority.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mechanic believes it to be Recirculating Air Flap

Hi Mongo,

I was going to change up the intercooler but my mechanic thinks it is the recirculating air flap that is the problem. He did a complete smoke test and told me that there is no leak in the intercooler. He said he accidentally discovered that the recirculating air flap was a few degrees more open than what it should be and suggested that i buy a secound hand one. I have ordered one thru ebay for $150.00. I'll let you know in May if changing it made a difference. My mechanic thinks it's just because it's slightly angled open within parameters that it passed the flap test but causes the P0410.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mine was replaced with a new one that cost a bit of $$$$. This did not cure the problem.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,708 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Recalibration was the first thing I tried after installation and the first time it pulled both the P0243 and P0410 after the new bypass valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am chasing the P0410 Code. It's emission test time again. Two years ago they forced it through with the secondary air system "not ready". The code was back 3 days later. This year I changed the one way valve even though the old one seemed to be ok (suck and blow test). 3 days later code is back. Went to dealership for their 140.00 diagnostic and after 4 hours of sitting and watching the events in Boston they came back with 1. Recirculating Air Flap and 2. Change over valve out of spec. 1500.00 to repair and I would have to pre-pay the parts. (that's not going to happen). After extensive testing this morning I've found that there is no ground to the brown wire at the air flap connector. I hot wired a ground and it came to life. although it didn't close all the way. Not sure if it is supposed to during a cold startup. Does anybody know the ground wire routing from the air flap connector to ground. I'd like to try and fix it properly before I make my hot wire permanent.
Thanks in advance
-Dave

·
Registered
2012 SLK55 AMG, 2009 SLK200
345 Posts
Don't know what model you have but the 230 shares its earth with the inlet cam adjuster from memory. The fact that it is plain brown means it goes directly to earth and not through the ecu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks dandywarhol. I found a break in the ground wire about six inches from the air flap connector in the wiring harness. I made the repair and the air flap is functioning again. The car has it's zip back. I'm hoping the P0410 code won't come back and I can make through emissions. For what it's worth I traced that ground all the way back to the electrical box where the fuses and K40 relay is using a telco toner.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good find - Heard of a few breaking wires in that bit of loom - wonder whats going on there - maybe not enough support for the wires.

Telco Toner eh? I thought that was for trimming up your gut muscles! ;)

Looks like a good bit of kit - we've got Fluke stuff here in College but not a toner - need to look into getting that bit o' kit.

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Thanks dandywarhol. I found a break in the ground wire about six inches from the air flap connector in the wiring harness. I made the repair and the air flap is functioning again. The car has it's zip back. I'm hoping the P0410 code won't come back and I can make through emissions. For what it's worth I traced that ground all the way back to the electrical box where the fuses and K40 relay is using a telco toner.
You should take this advice from me:

Take the casing off your k-40 and look at the electronics.

Your looking for areas where it looks like the board has gotten hot or turns a shade of brown.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've read your words of wisdom for a while now M Mechanic.
Resoldered all K40 components although all looked ok. Car going well and spring is finally here. :)

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
I've read your words of wisdom for a while now M Mechanic.
Resoldered all K40 components although all looked ok. Car going well and spring is finally here. :)
And now I crown thee ready for Mercedes ownership.

I think the key to owning a Mercedes is, drive it like you just bought it and when something does go wrong don't keep driving it, fix it right.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I bought it with a non functioning supercharger and with the help of a lot of knowledge on here and a bit of head scratching I've got it fixed. Not ideal when winter was long and hard in the land of haggis and tartan but worthwhile doing and a great learning curve for a person of my advanced years who should be driving and not buried below cars ;)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts