Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's good to hear someone else getting high MPG at 80 - people were looking at me as if I were insane when I discovered the same thing. My 350's 6 gets about 18 MPG at my normal 65-70mph with occasional traffic.

On a recent trip from Seattle to San Francisco I got a wee bit over 20 mpg at close to an 80mph high-average speed - mountain passes (slowed down for a bit there) and a full load of furniture on the way back included. I used miles run and fill-up numbers - not the on-board trip computer which tends to be a tad optimistic in its calculations and was telling me a bit over 21MPG.

The really wild thing was that the software that drives the fuel gauge and low fuel light also worked perfectly to spec (i.e. accurately) the first time in the truck's history.

Guess the reality is that these toys just weren't meant to be driven slowly [:D] Time to move to Montana, I think...

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
rbarbera:
If you go to Montana there is a stretch of I-90 between Livingston and Big Timber and on state highway 3 between Broadview and Acton that are flat and straight for more than 10 miles. Not saying you should speed there, just that it's flat, straight, and smooth. What you do is your business. Has a great view of the Crazy Mountains too!! Enjoy your trip!! [8D]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dakat:
...but it isn't REALLY "speeding" if it's light out and the weather's nice, right? Really officer??? - I thought I was going 150 Km/H - This thing's calibrated in MPH???? So terribly sorry! [:p]

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
rbarbera:
Truth of the matter is that Montana was threatened with loss of federal highway funds if they didn't post a speed limit. So they did, 70 on 2 lane roads and 75 to 80 depending where you are on the interstate. Enforcement isn't that great from my experience. I've turned up the wick several times up there and all I saw was antelope. I understand fines are minimal at best. And yes I averaged 20 mpg in my 00 430 last year on I-15 at 75 to 80 mph from Cal. to Montana. Can't wait to get my 05 500 SE on the same route this summer to see how it compares. Based on the fact it doesn't kick down on hills like the 430 did I'm sure it will be close to the same! Bye the way! I think your story might fly up there! It is beautiful country too! [8D]

·
Registered
497 Posts
One should not forget tyre pressures make a great difference to fuel consumption.

Diesel here is over $6 a US gallon which encourages me to consider fuel consumption, I get 24mpg (US gallons) averaging a full tank in spite of the computer claiming about 26mpg (over 30mpg to an imperial gallon).

I've measured up to 10% difference in fuel consumption by adding 10% to the rated tyre pressures measured cold and out of direct sunlight; I also find this aids handling and reduces tyre wear.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts