Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in the process of refreshing suspension with H&R springs, Bilstein Sports, front and rear control arms, etc.
I did the rears and it went pretty well. I sarted on the front today on the (USA) driver's side. The rear control arm eccentric bolt came out no problem. The front was a bear. I ended up grabbing my sawzall and cutting it.
When I finally took my control arm out, the bolt was completely surrounded and welded with corrosion within the bushing.
Doing other side tomorrow

·
Registered
W124
5,003 Posts
Did you try heating up the eccentric end of the bolt cherry red and then pounding it out from the rear end of it (with the nut on it of course to prevent damage to the threads)?

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,099 Posts
If you cut where I think you did with the sawzall I hope you didn't damage the end surfaces of the bushings or the inner srufaces of the LCA mounting brackets. It may not matter though, as I think you will find that, while you can pound the remains of the eccentric bolt out, the aluminum sleeve that it sits inside that holds the two bushing halves together may be damaged (the ends of this tube are flared at installation to retain the bushings). I believe that at one time, these sleeves were available separately, but now they may only come as part of a new bushing set. Either way, you will likely need new aluminum sleeves (along with a new eccentric bolt) to reassemble things.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I tried heat, no go.
I bought the entire "Y" shaped control arms. I am removing and replacing and throwing away.
The forward bolts face forward. There's an indentation (as you all know) in the bolt itself which allows for dirt, salt, etc., to enter the bushing. After years, it solidifies. If the rear control arms have plastic covers, why couldn't' they have designed something similar for the front where there's more exposure to shit?

·
Registered
W124
5,003 Posts
Have done this job at least four different times over the years. I've never had them frozen in place. Its an indication the car hasn't had an alignment since the ice age.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,325 Posts
That was my thought Andy; why hasn't the car ever had alignments over the yrs?

Kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IDK, I bought car about a month ago. Car's in excellent shape, no rust anywhere and every little thing works. There's a spread sheet of all that's been done in chronological order. Tires were replaced last year and I noticed wear in front outer edges. I figured I'd refresh everything and get it aligned.
Yes, the control arms looked factory.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
IDK, I bought car about a month ago. Car's in excellent shape, no rust anywhere and every little thing works. There's a spread sheet of all that's been done in chronological order. Tires were replaced last year and I noticed wear in front outer edges. I figured I'd refresh everything and get it aligned.
Yes, the control arms looked factory.
Are there any records of alignments? They have to work those cam bolts when they align or at least tell the owner they're rust frozen. Some people are weird about alignments...even to the point of never having them done in the entire ownership of their cars....like it's an expensive 'optional' service.

Kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any records of alignments? They have to work those cam bolts when they align or at least tell the owner they're rust frozen. Some people are weird about alignments...even to the point of never having them done in the entire ownership of their cars....like it's an expensive 'optional' service.

Kevin
No records of alignments. There's records of oil changes, head gaskets, trans. service and all kinds of other stuff going 100K miles.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
No records of alignments. There's records of oil changes, head gaskets, trans. service and all kinds of other stuff going 100K miles.
There you go.....one of those owners...lol. Rather track weird and wear out tires prematurely.

Kevin

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,955 Posts
I question the quality of the cold zinc on the current eccentric bolts. I did my front end about 5 years ago ( new bolts) and had alignment last done about two years ago. During my last visit in November I requested an alignment, no dice seized eccentrics. The originals were the golden zinc, new ones are the silver. I feel the new silver MB hardware corrosion coating is inferior to the gold type.
My advice...coat those new bolts with as much antiseize as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I think the original bolts were also cadmium plated, which is no longer commonly done as cadmium and the processes associated with plating it are very toxic. It is the cadmium that the gives them the golden color. The newer ones are just basic zinc which is just silver in color.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Cadmium was never an 'ideal' coating.....very pretty though. Zinc plating if done correctly will outlast cadmium with both exposed to road crud. But as with anything these days, the zinc plating has gotten thinner and thinner. Hot dipped zinc is great, but has a rough surface not suitable for tolerances.

Eastwood, the auto restoration people, have this elaborate way to fake the cadmium look.....lol. All those beautiful old Holley's I used to work on were cadmium plated.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Eastwood, the auto restoration people, have this elaborate way to fake the cadmium look.....lol. All those beautiful old Holley's I used to work on were cadmium plated.
Yes, indeed, I have used it to reproduce the cadmium "look" on many of my TR8 parts where you can't get the real deal any longer.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Yes, indeed, I have used it to reproduce the cadmium "look" on many of my TR8 parts where you can't get the real deal any longer.
How does it hold up and does it have the 'real' look? It's all paints, right?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
It's passable, but not perfect. The TR8 has been a garage queen so I'm not sure how it would hold up under real world driving conditions.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,955 Posts
Ahh the good old days where all the stuff that really works well..... kills ya or makes a big mess! Thanks flooby, I'm getting lazy and calling everything zinc! I'll try to remember to follow up in here when I swap my ecc bolts. Cuz one is frozen. Curious as these are the Spanish febi CA with nitrile boots like oem...same click to reverse scenario you had. Will check BJ's then do inner kits with mb. Should solve both problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts