Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 GTD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 86 300GD W 460333 has anyone done a complete change of frame or repaired it,mine is very rusty,a new one is expensive.Has anyone a magic solution? or a source of cheap sheatmetal parts
And My tachometer was bouncing up and down until one day it died, has the sender unit been faulty?
Thanks Eyjólfur

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
Not sure about the tach....but a good body shop should be able to remove all the rust and re weld in areas that need repair. expect to possibly replace the rubber and the windshield as it is difficult to remove without cracking it. I used POR-15 as a base primer to stop future rust from forming. Attempt to pre arange a supplier for both the rubber and the glass before you attempt it, as you may find a wait for parts. Hopefully you won't need either.
cheers

·
Registered
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1986 300GD, 1983 280GE
316 Posts
When you remove the windshield,cut the gasket away first, then the glass can be removed without stressing it too much.[8D]

·
Registered
300 GTD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone you know of bought or checked the price of a new frame ,the best solution is to replace it ,mine that bad it would take a lot of work to repair it?[V]

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
My friend has a perfectly good SWB chassis and body. I know I sold it to him, he had if for the lower ratios axles for his off-roader. He's based in the uk and may sell it, But you would need to ship it to Iceland via Scotland which may not be cheap. But the offer is there

·
Registered
300 GTD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am only interested in the part itself a whole body would be too much,but he isnt selling it in bits is he.
Thanks Eyjólfur

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
I agree with Toronto230GE. A good body shop in your area should be able to cut out the rust and make a formed template to weld in place. I had it done on my truck and it turned out well. I attach a picture for your pleasure. E-mail me or send me a PM if you are interested in a few more pictures.
Richard

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts