Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the windows are sitting to high on my 78 450 slc. Its causing the glass to just hit the top of the rubber and Im left with the window glass sitting out at an angle by about 10mm and not flush with the centre pillar rubber. I've just fitted new MB top rubbers left and right but it was happening before this and probably contributed to the rubber cracking and disintegrating in the first place. From what I can see the glass only needs to come down 3-5mm on both sides. Not knowing whats on the otherside of the door card (yet!) I can only imagine that over time the control arm(s) have found some play and are not stopping the window at the right height?

Has this happened to anyone else? what to find out before I start exploring.

can take a few photos if it helps.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
78-450 slc said:
Hi, the windows are sitting to high on my 78 450 slc. Its causing the glass to just hit the top of the rubber and Im left with the window glass sitting out at an angle by about 10mm and not flush with the centre pillar rubber.
I had the same problem when I replaced the old rubber around my soft top, except they were also leaning in toward the passenger compartment, so I had to push out on them to get them to roll up. There's a way to adjust the window, both in/out and up/down travel. Do you have a copy of the MB manuals on CD? You'll want to get it, because the instructions are a couple of pages. Otherwise shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you that section of the manual.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
78-450 slc said:
Hi, the windows are sitting to high on my 78 450 slc. Its causing the glass to just hit the top of the rubber and Im left with the window glass sitting out at an angle by about 10mm and not flush with the centre pillar rubber. I've just fitted new MB top rubbers left and right but it was happening before this and probably contributed to the rubber cracking and disintegrating in the first place. From what I can see the glass only needs to come down 3-5mm on both sides. Not knowing whats on the otherside of the door card (yet!) I can only imagine that over time the control arm(s) have found some play and are not stopping the window at the right height?

Has this happened to anyone else? what to find out before I start exploring.

can take a few photos if it helps.

I can't show you any pictures but there is a travel stop you can adjust. After you remove the inner door panel you'll find a 12mm(?) bolt head just aft of the inside door release handle. That bolt holds an L-shaped stop bracket inside the door frame. Adjust the bolt up or down in the slot to change the window's closed height. There is also a slotted L bracket at the center bottom of the window regulator to set the downward limit. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
I had the same problem with my 73 450sl. I brought it in to my indy and for $70 he adjusted both windows. For me it was well worth the money. They fit much better now! I'm not sure I would want to dig into the door, but that's just me.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Yup I have the same thing happening. I close the door with m hand at thye top of the glass, and it just pops in right. when I insided I just lower the window an inch then close it again. BUT now since I here theat there's an ajustment screw I'll have to fix it soon. Thanks guys.:)

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
NormanB said:
..... I'm not sure I would want to dig into the door, but that's just me.
Hells bells Norm, half the fun for me is figuring out how to get it back together, after I tore it apart with nary a concern!!

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
isthisdave said:
Hells bells Norm, half the fun for me is figuring out how to get it back together, after I tore it apart with nary a concern!!
Well, my problem is that all things are over engineered and I always have left over parts! So, many years ago I decided it was in my best interest to stay away from certain activites. :D

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 2005 BMW X3
120 Posts
I didn't realize there was an adjustment screw for the windows. I'm having the same problems with my windows and it's causing the weather stripping to curl. I'll have to check this out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love this forum!! thanks for all the info. Long weekend here in Queensland so gives me plenty of time to tinker. If all else fails it'll be over to the mechanic to fix.

cheers

Simon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts