Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the wheels balance by two different tire dealers, and still am getting a steering wheel shake between 40-60 mph.!! I give up what could be the problem here? Wheels are straight, Tires are new. Thanks. John

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem- have the wheels/tires balanced again by someone who knows what thery doing- have the technician put the balancer on senseitve setting- make sure the wheels are torgured to the correct setting (110 ft.lbs. for a s600)-my problem went away but it took three trips- real pain

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait ... this could be simple. In certain temperatures, the W140 is heavy enough that the tires actually take a slight set if the car's parked for a couple/few days. 10 minutes of driving will rectify the problem. Seems mystifying 'til you realize that is what is happening.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan is right. The combination of the w140 at 4500lbs and the stock Michelin MVX's propensity to 'flat-spotting' conspire for some serious shakin'! It's especially severe in my case, since I only drive my S420 about once a week. The first five miles can be almost punishing, to where I can see riples in my coffee cup, and it's especially bad between 35-65mph. I too made numerous trips to various shops to have the tires balanced. If your vibration is constant, regardless of how long you've been driving the car, then your ball joint may be the culprit.

· Registered
600SEC
8 Posts
My 600SEC does the same. I have just had new tires fitted. Tire Rack is doing a closeout...

My 600SEC does the same. I have just had new tires fitted. Tire Rack is doing a closeout on Yokohama AVSI in the right size for $56 each. Hopefully the vibration will go away but I am planning on changing out the lower control arm bushings since they look broken.

· Registered
600SEC
8 Posts
600SEC vibration.

I am slowly going through this car. As I mentioned in the last post I changed the tires. Well I just test drove her and it is much better. Even the alignment is better. I did tweak the right front wheel bearing a little too since I could feel a little play. My lower control arm bushings are shot as are my upper control arms I will replace them next week and report back.

Basicaly vibration can be Tires, Bushings, or Drive line. If my car is anything to go by tires and bushings seem to be a weak link.

Marco.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.