Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear all,
I have just replaced my Third set of Genuine Mercedes Front Discs and pads.
- hardly do very much millage, and as I am now on my third set in 12 months, I couldn't drive more carefully (late at night, so not very much traffic, allow the car to slow itself towards a stop, VERY Gentle braking, and never had a 'hard' or sudden stop.
It has just passed a new MOT, but already they have warned me there is a very slight 'run out' on the front brakes again.. to be perfectly honest this can (just) be felt if your very,very, particular (it was picked up by the MOT computer).

I can not understand why? - the garage (very reputable) suggested they had seen this only ever once before, but that car was sent back to the main dealer, so they never discovered why, but thought (maybe) in that case it was 'something to do with the hub' ?:confused:

does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
Brand new Genuine Mercedes are parts fitted, and the car is driven very, very gently?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
that is pretty baffling. is it doing it on both sides? check if the wheels are getting really hot from driving even without much braking (which would suggest the brakes are dragging when you aren't pressing brake). make sure they are using a torque wrench to tighten the wheel lugs and not overtorquing them. are you bedding in the new pads/rotors right after install? you do this by finding a deserted straight road, going 55-60 mph and slowing down to 5-6 mph, repeat 7-8 times. that beds the pads/rotors and puts an even layer of pad material on the rotor. brakes work much better that way.

as a last resort I would have the calipers rebuilt.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Do you drive with two feet, i.e. your left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator? If so, are unconsciously resting your foot on the brake pedal and causing this. If you only brake and accelerate with your right foot, then this won't be the issue and it's something mechanical. A bad caliper can cause this, but that would almost only happen on one wheel, so if this is on more than one wheel, it's probably something in the master cylinder or possible the ESP system. Who is doing the brake jobs for you? The dealer? If so, you are paying them enough that they need to find and fix this problem for you - unless you drive 60K miles a year in horrible traffic, there is no way you should go through three sets of brakes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts