Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the other MB site, but had many response of the same problem, but no solution.

Does anybody here have an idea of what's going on? The problem is when I take meduim turns at very low speeds (1-3mph), the front tires hop/skid and scutter as if one wheel wants to go staright and the other is turning. This problem is MUCH worse when the ground is wet or very cold.

The problem seem to have started after I changed the pads to #1's.

I've changed the steering damper and had it aligned, but that didn't fix it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
'01 S500,'02 CLK 430
65 Posts
I am having the same problem it is almost like it is rubbing when I turn and it also is only at very low speeds and only when I turn to the right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you both have fairly new rubber? what brand tires do you guys have?

I have a feeling it has to do with tires, perhaps if either one of you have your stock wheels still try those on and see if that helps.

I think I can feel that too sometimes but its not very pronounced at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have heard other people report this issue as well and majority of the times it with fairly new tires. Like it is in your case.

Did you lower your car prior to or after installing the new tires?

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This problem happened after I lowered my already lowered car by changing the pads in the front from a #4 to a #1. With the same tires.

The negative camber has eaten the inside of my front tires considerably, and as a result, this may be becasue of the uneven inside wear. ??

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
linh - 2/16/2005 10:13 PM

http:/Let me get back to ya on this one, I'm going to talk to some friends, lets see if we can figure out the issue./
I know exactly what the problem is but i'm too busy lately with no time to response. If i forget to answer it, remind me again.
AAHHHHHHHH You did not just say that Linh!!! Help!! LOL
Consider that your reminder. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Based on my post about the suspension installation I just had done, your problem is that you are using the tiny spring pads and something is rubbing as wellk as the fact that you camber is way off.

If you changed back to minimum #3 pads in the front and rear..it will probably stop.

The difference in the drop will not be that noticeable...

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fortyfive - 2/17/2005 8:39 PM

Based on my post about the suspension installation I just had done, your problem is that you are using the tiny spring pads and something is rubbing as wellk as the fact that you camber is way off.

If you changed back to minimum #3 pads in the front and rear..it will probably stop.

The difference in the drop will not be that noticeable...
That's exactly what I did. Went from a #4 to a #1 ~ 3/4 - 1" drop. So, you are saying that I am actually rubbing in my fenderwell? I know the camber is off which is being fixed soon, so I hope that will fix the problem? Rubbing in the fenderwell shouldn't casue the "scuttering" feeling...like one wheel is loose and wobbling.

·
Registered
2001 CLK430
29 Posts
My 430 is 100% stock w/ the original Michelin Pilots on it. I tried it this morning. Doesn't do it @ all (18k miles on them).

Hope you work it out.

·
Registered
1998 CLK200
19 Posts
i have the same problem ( hop/skid when turning left at low speed)and i don`t think the pads are the problem because i have the stock pads.
i think the toe in/out setup it`s the problem as linh said. going to check and keep you posted.

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I figured it out. When I dropped to a #1 pad, the negative camber was so sever that it ate through the inner edgse of my soft tires. This inner was was the culprit.

So, a set of new tires and a camber kit fixed the problem!

If you are experiencing this problem, I suggest you look under the car and inspect the front tires for inner wear. If it's worn out, then that's your problem.

·
Registered
1998 CLK200
19 Posts
str8ridin - 3/17/2005 1:17 PM

Well, I figured it out. When I dropped to a #1 pad, the negative camber was so sever that it ate through the inner edgse of my soft tires. This inner was was the culprit.

So, a set of new tires and a camber kit fixed the problem!

If you are experiencing this problem, I suggest you look under the car and inspect the front tires for inner wear. If it's worn out, then that's your problem.
i replaced the tires and it`s fine now, no more annoying sounds [:)]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad to Hear that everything worked out.

I tell you, the spring companies should do a better job informing people what they really need when the lower cars, especially this one..

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts