Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the front wheel bearings were pretty worn before the trip to Death Valley. Now the washboard roads put the final nail in the coffin. They are so loose that braking is noticably affected. No grinding noises yet.

It seems that I've finally got to break down and do the bearings.

I found Dave Gomes great ClubGwagen tutorial for the 460. I think most of that translates to the 463 and I have the factory manual. What I couldn't find was the translation list from MB part number to generic bearing sizes. Can anyone supply me with a pointer?

Any SF Bay Area folks needing similar work who might want to have a wrenching get together?

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
DAMN...we should have been more diligent when we had our tech session last year at Harald's place. We replaced the bearings on 2 or 3 trucks, but I don't recall capturing all the information or documenting it thoroughly. Maybe I'm wrong and someone has it??

Do you have a press?

I'm happy to come by and help out, although I am all thumbs when it comes to this stuff. If it wasn't for Harald and Flounder I'd still be there...

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Alan,

what you describe sounds expensive - worn bearings can be replaced, but what you describe sounds like a lot of internal destruction (beyond bearings).
As I have preached for many years: If you notice play in your front wheels - replace those beraings immediately ! Don't wait a single day.

many many years back I had mine self destruct during a desert trip in Coyote Canyon. Tow truck and repairs amounted to several thousand Dollars.
Replaced:
all bearings
all seals
joint housing
entire axle shaft including CV
spindle
caliper
rotor

Harald

·
Registered
1996 G300TD
384 Posts
Alan,

Sorry to hear about the front axle. As you know our trucks have close serial numbers so my experience may have some relevance. My truck has about 190k kms on the clock.

18 months ago I had my MB worksop do a front axle rebuild to get rid of any play in the bearings and the steering. I was having problems with steering vibration. This was costly and did not cure everything. I do have the bill listing all parts that were used.

The MB shop did not replace the steering damper but did do the front shocks (that were again replaced after 5000 kms with the Doetsch ones). I did put the Maybach steering damper in 2 weeks ago and that cured everything. It turned out that the heavy duty steering damper was killed after some 10.000 kms by all sorts of vibrations due to the slacky front axle.

Let me know if you need a copy of the repair bill.

Good luck on this job.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Alan,

Sorry to hear of your problem. If you were closer I'd say come on over. I have a press, all of the tools and a good workspace. You are welcome but I'm 12 hours north. I put together a list and Emailed it to Harald I think. I will look for it and post it or Email it to you. Buy all of the seals except may be the axle seals from Europa. They can put together all of the parts without the bearings. There are some little metal cups for the king pin bearings etc. that you need. You can source all of the bearings locally and may come up with some superior quality ones. The NTN's I used for some of bearings in my job are outstanding. There are a couple of important details about the bearing numbers, the wheelbearings for your hub spindles need a radius on the back side like mine did. That detail slowed down the progress of my job. I'll try to send a list tonight.

-Dai

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not too serious

I don't think any serious damage has been done. There are no unusuall noises. Just enough play to push back the disk brake pads such that I get odd braking. With gentle braking the rear brake comes on first. The effect is the same as the nose dive that you get when gently pulling up on the hand brake. I suspect it is the same effect that Dave was noticing when he went in and found a broken hub. Heck, maybe I have the same problem.

I'm sure the bearings and seals are worn way beyond spec.

I have access to a press. But do I need it for anything other than pulling and replacing the bearings? Patience and tapping with a siutable drift has always been my modus operandi.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
RE: Probably not too serious

you'll need the clae wrench and a suitable tie rod separator (no pickle fork!)
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/slotnut.html

Harald

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts

4x4abc - 4/15/2005 5:25 PM

you'll need the clae wrench and a suitable tie rod separator (no pickle fork!)
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/slotnut.html

Harald
A press is just about mandatory to get that one bearing off the hub.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Alan, the list Dave put together is on the clubgwagen Tech site. On the left of the screen look for the box that says Related Materials. Click on it and you will find Front Axle Service Parts. The numbers worked for my '85 460 except for one important part. The large wheel bearing LM503349 needs to be LM503349A. That A suffix means the bearing's inner race has a radius machined into it. That is there to clear the radius surface on the stub shaft where it lives. The early stub shafts did not have this so a standard race worked. On the later stub shafts that radius will not allow the non A suffix bearing to seat. Harald discovered this when he was helping me press on the bearing. There was just a little space back there that we were sure would lead to a broken stub shaft. Harald reccomended we try to find FAG German bearings for these as he has had problems with some of the Timkens. I found that LM503349A bearing in a Federal-Mogul box with NTN bearings in there made in Japan. They looked much better than the Timken and seem to be working fine. I would cross referance Daves part's list with the numbers required for the 463 chassis. The axle shaft seals were insanely expensive through Europa and I would get those locally. If you buy a claw wrench from Europa you will need a matching set of new wheel nuts that fit the tool. I bought 4 for the job. It is critical there is a perfect fit because very high torque is applied to seat the bearings.

-Dai

·
Registered
1992 300 GDL
268 Posts
The bearing sizes are;
outside 55 x 90 x 23 mm
inner 50 x 80 x 20 mm

When I spoke to a bearing supplier he quoted the following Timken Ref nos.
outer 32011x
inner 32010x

I bought 4 bearings for £70 odd last year. I have not fitted them yet as my mech. thought that the movement was quite normal. It was only the slightest amount of play.. almost nothing. I got all the seals from MB

Hope your job goes well...please photo it[:0]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts

HOpe you don't have the busted hub. But definitely look into it right away.

The bearings listed with my articles are for 460s. For the 463 you'll just have to open it up. The truck will be down a couple days anyway, so just take your old bearings out and go down to your local bearing supply and have them match teh numbers. Make sure you get EXACT matches. The "A" suffix on some of the inner races is critical to proper functioning. Not sure if 463's have the A suffix bearings or not....anyway, just match your old ones.

The bearings aren't anything unusual and a halfway decent bearing supply house should have them right in stock. I do definitely recommend ordering all seals from MB though. Even the guy at the bearing place was impressed by the quality of the MB seals and said he didn't have anything comparable.

Toughest part for me was that the play in the hub(which wasnot enough to feel by grabbing the wheel, even with the car jacked up) had caused wear to the CV outer threads, requiring repacement of the CVs too.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Axle replacement option?

I've been otherwise occupied and the G with the loose wheelbearings is still sitting in the garage. It gives me dirty looks every time I walk by.

Now the thought strikes me that I could replace both front and rear axles with G500 axles. This would A) fix the wheel bearings; B) give me disc brakes in the back; and C) raise the gear ratio by a small amount. All good things in my mind, though Harald would disagree with C. There might be some cabling glitch with the parking brakes.

Is this an insane idea? Where could I get my hands on a set of axles recently liberated from a fresh, young G500 corpse?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
RE: Axle replacement option?

AlanMcR - 5/6/2005 4:36 PM

Is this an insane idea? Where could I get my hands on a set of axles recently liberated from a fresh, young G500 corpse?
How about that bullet riddled one that was in the Las Vegas junk yard?

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I absolutley love over hauling the front axle of a G. nothing matches the bonding experience of this job and the shear satisfaction of the feel of it when completed, its like a G wagen reborn.
I am envious, I wish I had one to do.

·
Registered
1989 300GD SWB
84 Posts
Funny you should say that...................
I'd been thinking that it would be a good idea to do the bearings of my 300GD, and as it is parked on your doorstep[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Go knock yourself out[;)][;)]

·
Registered
1989 300GD SWB
84 Posts
Thats quite allright, glad I could be of some assistance[8)]

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
RE: Axle replacement option?

AlanMcR - 5/6/2005 4:36 PM

I've been otherwise occupied and the G with the loose wheelbearings is still sitting in the garage. It gives me dirty looks every time I walk by.

Now the thought strikes me that I could replace both front and rear axles with G500 axles. This would A) fix the wheel bearings; B) give me disc brakes in the back; and C) raise the gear ratio by a small amount. All good things in my mind, though Harald would disagree with C. There might be some cabling glitch with the parking brakes.

Why not just skip directly to Unimog axles [:)][:)][:)]
Too bad the typical Unimog gear ratios are so different....

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
4x4rancher - 5/8/2005 4:05 PM

Alan MCR:
Before you re-assemble your hubs fit a grease nipple, drill and tap the hub and fit a right angle grease nipple in the position shown.
For what purpose? [?]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts