Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in the middle of a well-planned brake pad change, I noticed some ticking from my wheel bearings and ended up needing to change them on the fly. Normally I get all my parts mail-order and pick up the unplanned things from the dealer. No joy this time. Not only did the dealer have neither bearing nor wheel seal in stock, but the parts guy tells me they only sell the hub assembly now (also not in stock), and that would be $290 per side. This I would never do, of course. I would rent a car for a few days and mail order premium express before that, but I still had one search up my sleeve: NAPA.
It turns out that NAPA carries the SKF bearings (NAPA numbers BRG 12 and BRG 17), dirt cheap and in stock. 4 bearings for $40. You won't match that online. They have the seals also for like $10 (fortunately I already had those), but available on one day order at my NAPA.
The joke of the day is that the original bearings that I removed were stamped "Japan". Kind of ironic that I have to go to NAPA to get European parts to replace the rice junk that was in there.
Biggest pain of the whole job still has to be getting the dust caps off. I knew they would come, so I was patient, using a torch to heat and banging with chisel, screwdriver and channel-locks. My neighbors probably think I run a blacksmith shop in my garage now though.

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
THe dust cap was hard? Dunno on your car but on the E300TD I used a crow bar, put the bendy end bit on the grove of the dust cap and hammered the bend of the bar away from the wheel and pop, its out :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Really? The hardest part of the job for me has always, always, always been driving out the old race from the hub.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
When I adjusted my front bearings the dust cap presented no difficulty.

I noticed that there was no grease in the cap, it was clean, there never had been any in it. Is this normal? I thought the dust cap should be packed with grease.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
When I adjusted my front bearings the dust cap presented no difficulty.

I noticed that there was no grease in the cap, it was clean, there never had been any in it. Is this normal? I thought the dust cap should be packed with grease.
On several models, I have noticed in WIS "Pack Dust Cap with 15 grams of Bearing Grease"

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? The hardest part of the job for me has always, always, always been driving out the old race from the hub.
No, those were straightforward for me. I set the hub in a vise and hammered with a drift carefully all around. The wheel seals were actually tougher than the races, and I basically destroyed the inner bearing to get them out.

My dust caps were corroded on after 130K, but maybe the crowbar tip is a good one. That's basically what I did with channel locks, but you need to hold the squeeze on while hammering.

·
Registered
1998 E320
77 Posts
My dust caps were corroded on after 130K, but maybe the crowbar tip is a good one. That's basically what I did with channel locks, but you need to hold the squeeze on while hammering.
I coat the outer edge of the dust cap with grease to prevent corrosion and have it come out easier the next time you need to repack the bearings.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Or, you can remove the Cap the "Specifed" (but costly....) way.

It takes a mighty "Two seconds" to remove the cap with this Bad Boy....

MB # 116 589 22 33 00

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good tip.

Is there a torque value for setting the new bearings? Also, is there a final torque value for the axle nut or is it the old turn-it-with-your-fingers-until- the-wheel-doesn't-wobble method?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Good tip.

Is there a torque value for setting the new bearings? Also, is there a final torque value for the axle nut or is it the old turn-it-with-your-fingers-until- the-wheel-doesn't-wobble method?
Welcome aboard.

Please click user cp and add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information.

And before you go shooting yourself in the foot again (given your username I figured you'd appreciate that), the HELP/DIY stickies atop this forum will answer about 90% of the questions/issues you'll face with your car...including this one. (And no, it's measured by runout, as you'll see.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts