Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So following the procedures from videos on YouTube, I've got the front wheel hub out of the R350 out and thumped out of the big carrier arm. The wheel spindle still has the inner ring from one side of the bearing stuck on it, however.

I am going to try a combination of putting the hub in a 500 deg F oven ( while the wife is out, naturally) and added heat from a butane blowtorch.

Any thoughts or suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,893 Posts
Oven is not the best for this job.
You want to get the ring hot, while keeping the hub cold.
Torch on the ring and ice inside the hole.
In my industrial years I could cut the ring with torch, while leaving shaft undamaged, but that is high end skill.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oven is not the best for this job.
You want to get the ring hot, while keeping the hub cold.
Torch on the ring and ice inside the hole.
In my industrial years I could cut the ring with torch, while leaving shaft undamaged, but that is high end skill.
Many years ago I was involved with the refit of an offshore pipeline construction ship called the Apache (see picture). The big reel in the middle of the ship holds up to 2,000 metric tonnes (4.4 million pounds) of rigid steel pipe and the reel itself weighed about another 300 tonnes (660,000 lbs). Rigid steel pipe up to 16" diameter is welded up in 1000 meter lengths onshore, then those lengths are welded end to end as they're pulled onto the reel. The ship sails off to the installation location, unreels and straightens the pipe and lays it on the seabed. Anyway, during the refit they found cracks where the reel "spokes" were welded to the half-shafts in the middle. They tried arc-air gouging out one crack and the crack ran away from them into the reel shaft. So they tried another one. Same result. It wasn't until they'd buggered up all seven welds on both sides of the reel that they thought it was bout time to stop, and I spent three months night and day 7 days a week supervising the fabrication of replacement shafts. No fucking way am I taking an oxy-acetylene torch to my hubs!

Apache.jpg

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hub with bearing attached is in the deep freeze, butane torch will be applied to the ring later today. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
2006 E350 sedan
50 Posts
dont put it in the oven. it may contaminate future food you plan to eat. bring the hub to any shop. They will press it out for you. I brought mine to a shop, and they pressed it out for free. They also told me that I was OK to reuse the race, as long as I replaced the ball and outer race.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New bearings are sealed assembled units. And after my wife's cooking baking car parts can only improve things :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts