Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 E55 28,000 miles and it is finally time for a new set of Dunlops. Yes I have managed to get this mileage out of the original tires. The rear still has miles left. The problem is that the camber of the car has eaten the inside treads to nothing. Through out the miles it has been aligned several times by MB and they have said that this is normal. I guess I would like to know if there is a better alignment process that allows the same or better handling (the car has not been lowered) as well as saving the damn tires
[:D]

·
Registered
47 Posts
allighnment probs

if you got 28000 miles out of them your lucky
i have to say that the 1997 - 2002
E class 210 chassis, is a work of science
from the E-320 to the E-55
the cars have no adjustable caster camber settings
just 2 differant offset bolts that can be installed
these cars need to allighned on a hunter rack with the special mercedes benz mounts for alighnment heads
the pins go through the rims, hence the extra 5 holes in your rims between the lug bolts, the pins sit on the rotors rather than depending on rim being true
E-55 rims bend real easy also check that
its real tough working in a production paced benz dealer and getting paid
1.5 hr to do an allighnment to spend the time to set it with the camber bolts correctly,
theres a lot of geometry that goes into multilink
suspension, unlike most of its comp, the benz uses most of its travel,
if your in new england stop by i will do it myself for ya
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alignment

I only got 20,000 miles out of my Dunlops. The front wore out on the OUTSIDE edges, particularly the drivers side. I asked the dealership why and they told me it was because I make too many left turns!

I replaced them recently with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (A/S). These are great tires so far. Excellent wet traction although I have not tried them in snow. I hear they work well though.

The Pilot's are much quieter than the Dunlops. I got them because I did not want to have to buy snow tires then a new set of summer tires next year.

If you do the same, make sure you stick to the exact OEM stock size. I tried to go one size off to save some money and had to send the tires back to Tirerack as they did not fit.

·
Registered
91 500SL 80K / 2003 E500 120K (Runs Perfect!)
69 Posts
Alignment -- 98 E320

John,

I have a 98 e320 about 32,000 miles, runs like a champ, but I notice that at 90+ miles I sense a rumble in the wheels also when I brake it becomes more pronounced. rebalance the wheels?

I also (not related to above) but that the steering wheel is not centered when traveling strait ahead??

Thanks !

P.S. Where In New England (I am in Boston)

Henry

·
Registered
E320/C43/Aviator
204 Posts
Camber...........

John,
I have a 2k e320. I replaced the springs with H&R wich lowered the car by 1.5". I replaced the A-arm bushing with a camber kit from K-Mac (Australia). It corrected the negative camber up to 2degrees. This camber kit can also be used to correct the negative camber on 210's that are not lowered. If you or anybody is interested, I have an extra kit that was suppose to be in my wifes e430(sold). Its $370 for the front and $320 for the rear. This will reduce premature/uneven tire wear.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chris,

I know it has been years but if you still have those kits and want to sell them, I might be able to buy them from you.

thanks
Tom

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
Zaya - 12/25/2002 6:13 PM

2001 E55 28,000 miles and it is finally time for a new set of Dunlops. Yes I have managed to get this mileage out of the original tires. The rear still has miles left. The problem is that the camber of the car has eaten the inside treads to nothing. Through out the miles it has been aligned several times by MB and they have said that this is normal. I guess I would like to know if there is a better alignment process that allows the same or better handling (the car has not been lowered) as well as saving the damn tires
[:D]
I just change mine too, I have the new michellin PS II. they're the best so far ive ever use. Anyway about your problem, i dont agree with MB on that. It's just a matter of finding the right shop to do your alignments. youre lucky just like what jbmbusa said for getting 28,000 miles out of them. The shop that installed my tires said im lucky if i get 16,000 miles. [:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts