Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have listed my spare for sale on ebay item number 332678756856

It is pre cut to use the hydraulic couplers, which saves a world of pita work re routing 10 feet of hydraulic lines
into the trunk and removing brittle plastic panels and disassembling the pump in trunk to install the lines

I think if you have not replaced yours and your top is 10 years old I recommend replacing it.

* It will fail every cylinder will fail because MB used inferior seals
* When it fails you get hydraulic fluid all over the roof and interior
* It will happen at the most inopportune time like on a trip
* If you replace it BEFORE failure you will be able to open your roof to get access
* You can do it on your terms & time schedule not fate's
* You won't have to refill the reservoir & remove the lines in the trunk which is also a pita
* Just call it best preventative maintenance

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't had my R230 for that long. Normally one would have to remove hydraulic line all the way back to the pump when replacing this cylinder? But with those couplers you can get away with cutting the lines when replacing the cylinder?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct

I haven't had my R230 for that long. Normally one would have to remove hydraulic line all the way back to the pump when replacing this cylinder? But with those couplers you can get away with cutting the lines when replacing the cylinder?
I spoke to a few local shops when my lock cylinder blew and they told me that is how they did it, so I bought 2 of these patented couplers and instead of a 2 day job it took an hour, just follow their simple but exact directions, the main 2 points; razor clean STRAIGHT cuts of each side of the hydraulic lines, inserting the cut line fully into the coupler as far as possible.

I looked at the WIS instructions to follow the lines, all the panels you have to remove/break and then finally the hydraulic pump in the trunk, saves 8 to 10 hours of very difficult removing & replacing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another option would be to just replace the o-ring seal inside, took me an hour and hasn't leaked since. Not sure how long it'll hold up, but at a cost of $10 and the seller provide you 2 orings, you can just change it again later if it leaks. I don't think a lot of us, including myself, would be comfortable in cutting up the hydraulic lines.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really?

Another option would be to just replace the o-ring seal inside, took me an hour and hasn't leaked since. Not sure how long it'll hold up, but at a cost of $10 and the seller provide you 2 orings, you can just change it again later if it leaks. I don't think a lot of us, including myself, would be comfortable in cutting up the hydraulic lines.
Have you seen the threads on cylinder rebuilding? I suggest you read up!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/2295017-vario-front-lock-hydraulic-cylinder-fixed.html#post11568506

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm good, i'm cheap and it didn't take long to swap the seal, i'll do it again if it leaks. Sorry if i ruined your for sale ad, wasn't my intention.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,107 Posts
...so I bought 2 of these patented couplers and instead of a 2 day job it took an hour...
I've used one of those couplers to repair a damaged hydraulic line. It is simple to install and works great.

The time guide in WIS (ASRA) gives 3.2 hours time to remove and install the front locks cylinder along with the lines running back to the pump. If I had to remove a leaking front cylinder it would be a toss-up between choosing to simplify the job by cutting the lines and installing couplers or removing the lines back to the pump. Of course, the choice is moot if I were going to replace the leaking seal with the cylinder in the car.

Have you seen the threads on cylinder rebuilding? I suggest you read up!
Done! I read that thread a while back, and afterward I can't imagine replacing a cylinder rod seal that has a lip design with a simple o-ring, since my experience with o-rings has been awful, and the seal can be had for about $20: Mercedes-Benz Convertible top hydraulic seals. There is one caveat, however. The bracket which connects the cylinder rod to the latch mechanism probably needs to be removed to install a seal as was done in the thread you linked to. While an o-ring can stretch and slide over the bracket, I believe the seal is too rigid to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
bobterry99
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing