Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that both front tyres have left telltale marks (paint gone) under front guards on inner panel behind headlights, across tyre width?
Tyres are 225/45/17 which is same diameter as standard 205/55/16.
Is this a normal ocurence?
If so has anyone had any problems from it? or done any mods?

Thanks in advance

Bazzle

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
I read that AMG fenders are rolled from the factory. I have 18s and haven't had any problems. Do a search. I read up on sizes, and I remember people talking about rolling their fenders. what size were your original rims (width)? I've seen people w/19s on their SLKs.

are you sure it's when the tire goes up? if you're getting it across the tire width, maybe it's when you turn. I'm not exactly sure where you're describing. I have a mustang that I changed to 17x9 from the original 15x7. It rubbed on the left front when I turned. You could see scrub marks on the painted surface inside the fender well. I had to deform it a bit for clearance.

hopefully someone will chime in with a little more knowledge.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
All SLK fenders are partially rolled, it's standard ...........

The first location that a tire will rub if too large could be the fender, however, if the offset is off as well, you might be looking at the frame in the front or back where the inner edge of the tire might rub something.
The chances are that Bazzles marks are not coming from the tires, tho' I can't imagine what they are from without seeing them. Bazzle, any chance of a photo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts