Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 5.5 liters
An 2003 ml 55 would in had 285/50-18

Circumference is 29.2. & 11.2 wide

Your 275/45 -20 =
29.7 and 10.8 wide.

So It seems that tire size should be fine.

You check for a broken rear spring? If I remember correctly you recently were looking to change them?
Yes, I replaced rear springs with a set I bought on ebay. The shocks where bad so I replaced them with my bilstein shocks. The rear now rides a little rough compared to the OEM shocks but I can live with it and the bilstein really shows when I'm off road.

W163 and General M Gremlin
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, I replaced rear springs with a set I bought on ebay. The shocks where bad so I replaced them with my bilstein shocks. The rear now rides a little rough compared to the OEM shocks but I can live with it and the bilstein really shows when I'm off road.
The correct spring set (for ML55s) ?
Strut setups, from my limited knowledge, had different 3 color dots on the springs themselves, for each level (more or less) of W163s and the ML55s had shorter strut setups (maybe 1"-1.5" vs. the other levels) and of course, to compensate for the hefty spare in the rear compartment.

Your KYBs up front:
Same as what member David recommended and reported on:

Humm,
Lowered and bouncy still? and you swapped to KYBs too.
Interesting. We have none of the issues reported by many past members after dropping the ride height - City driving too.
Another issue? perhaps the torsion bar bracket (mount support)?

For our rear setup, the shocks of choice were the Bilstein B6s.

Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 5.5 liters
The correct spring set (for ML55s) ?
Strut setups, from my limited knowledge, had different 3 color dots on the springs themselves, for each level (more or less) of W163s and the ML55s had shorter strut setups (maybe 1"-1.5" vs. the other levels) and of course, to compensate for the hefty spare in the rear compartment.

Your KYBs up front:
Same as what member David recommended and reported on:

Humm,
Lowered and bouncy still? and you swapped to KYBs too.
Interesting. We have none of the issues reported by many past members after dropping the ride height - City driving too.
Another issue? perhaps the torsion bar bracket (mount support)?

For our rear setup, the shocks of choice were the Bilstein B6s.
Yes I got the correct struts off ebay with matching 3 dot colors like the one that came with the truck. This vehicle was raised very high by an inexperienced mechanic to avoid the rubbing of the tires to the frame. I didn't know what cause the bouncing at first so I had to replace two front shocks just to fix the problem. Thanks to this forum I quickly realize I had to lower the truck to return it to its proper handling. At 30mm ride height I almost don't want to adjust further because the truck drives much much better now. But I will try to go 28mm and see whether the rubbing returns. I'm also using the Bilstein B6 at the rear.

W163 and General M Gremlin
Discussion Starter #24
Yes I got the correct struts off ebay with matching 3 dot colors like the one that came with the truck. This vehicle was raised very high by an inexperienced mechanic to avoid the rubbing of the tires to the frame. I didn't know what cause the bouncing at first so I had to replace two front shocks just to fix the problem. Thanks to this forum I quickly realize I had to lower the truck to return it to its proper handling. At 30mm ride height I almost don't want to adjust further because the truck drives much much better now. But I will try to go 28mm and see whether the rubbing returns. I'm also using the Bilstein B6 at the rear.
And when you adjust, (as Im sure you already know), dont just go with equal depth check adjustment at the adjustment hole (due to the age of these suvs) - you may need to adjust the "screw in" heights on each side accordingly, to match the equal ride heights at the wheel well.

That's why I went with B6s on coil-overs vs. oem ML55 struts. Ive driven my colleagues 02 ML55 and he has driven mine with this setup - he found the CO setup much more comfortable (and with a lower ride height vs. his) over his amg. His wife doesnt like riding in his, but she'll sit in ours.
I have a spare set of the ML55 rear struts I plan on installing (to test) in my daughters 01 ML430 when the time comes.
If it doesnt pan out, I'll set hers up with COs and maybe go a tad softer on the coil spring rate and B6s.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts