Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am currently in the process of replacing both lower ball joints and an upper control arm, and I saw that the upper swaybar bushings look a bit tired, there is even some space between the bushing itself and the swaybar.
the left one (looking from behind) is easy to replace i think, because all i have to do is remove the battery tray.

but the other one is under the brake booster. do i really have to remove the brake booster to replace this one? if so, are there any risks or precautions?
will i be better off leaving them as they are?

Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
banflu - 3/6/2005 6:59 PM

Hi all

I am currently in the process of replacing both lower ball joints and an upper control arm, and I saw that the upper swaybar bushings look a bit tired, there is even some space between the bushing itself and the swaybar.
the left one (looking from behind) is easy to replace i think, because all i have to do is remove the battery tray.

but the other one is under the brake booster. do i really have to remove the brake booster to replace this one? if so, are there any risks or precautions?
will i be better off leaving them as they are?

Thanks

Patrick

Apparently you need more hands in when working on that side. When I replaced mine, I have three mechanics (yes, three) in replacing left bushings.

You don't need to remove the brake booster, but that's all there is. You better change the bushings both.
[:)]

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
i dont see how you can get it out with out pulling teh booster...not a hard job - i imagine you could work around it, but then it will be in the way....the bushing is split and slides over the bar, you need not remove teh bar...getting access to the nuts is more my question....when i did mine i did it alone with my dad coaching, and it was no big chore - however i had no engine/tranny and the whole chassis was being restored...so i had a lot of room - no brake system either....the bushings come in multiple grades, the long version being teh "strongest"...get new hardware too - dont want that to go wrong...

good luck
jake

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i replaced the left one (the one under the battery) today and it was pretty easy.

but when i got to do the other one it was hell! it was reeaally hard even to get the bracket out! took me about an hour :( i cant even get my hands in there.
now i got it off but the bush will not come out. i tried pulling it out and 1) theres no real space to get my hand in there to pull it and 2) it will hit the booster!
i also tried to slide it on the bar but it will hit the booster too..

is it a problem to remove the brake booster? I have never worked with these things. will i need to drain the hydraulic or something? will i encounter any problems ?

also, my old bushings had 3 or 4 holes in them. the new ones have about 6 holes in them! does this mean that they are weaker? will they make the car sway more? would it be a good idea to "fill" the holes with studs or something? or will that make too much pressure on the chassis or anti roll bar?

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also what do you mean by get new hardware.. r u refferring to the nuts?

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i managed to remove the bush after an hour or more, but then it was impossible to install the new one, there is just not have enough space for it to go in!!
i had really gave up on this, then my dad suggested to remove the nuts of the booster from under the dash so it will move a little bit, without actually taking off the master cylinder. I did this and I gained about 1/2inch.. this was enough and after 30 more mins the bush was in :)
it took about 30mins to remove the nuts of the booster mind you.. they are in a real awkward position, especially the top left one!!

this is not an easy job for DIY! [B)]

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
i thought that would be a tough one...

sorry about the pictures for the spring compressor my dad made...ill do that tonight - ive been super busy, and when i get home the last thing i want to do is look at another computer....

jake

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
new hardware

yes - when i "restored" my w123 i bought all new hardware from MB, great stuff, even after 24 years the oem parts were still in great shape - i thought she desirved new though...they can get you anything! its awesome....my retainers - or horse shoes - or shackles - or clamps, the things that actually hold the bushing were a little rusty, so i like knowing there are new ones in there on the bushing...

the holes are what i was refering to with the limo or sedan/long or t / estate or wagon and coupe version...i would not fill them in - i think itll be fine, its not a corning animal! ha! plus i think the suspension should be a o k..but get the other ones if you want

jake

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats ok. i am already planning how to make my compressor. i am only unsure of what size/thread the stud should be. i think square thread would be safer?

re the retainers etc i left the originals in! only changed the bushings :)
and i did not fill the holes cause i figured it would make it even harder to get it in there! [:)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts