Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Very likely Chinese Junk that will fall off in short order, still if like many you like doing the same job every couple years or much less sometimes then ago go ahead and cheap out on repairs :rolleyes: ...............

Or pay the $155 and forget about the Rollbar for another 15 years :)

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
I have a chinese set of W220 sway bar bushing here. Customer brought it to me and left the car overnight.

By the way, complete sway bar with bushing is $790 here, my cost. $155 for a brand new sway bar is dirt cheap. Don't know where you guys are finding at that price, but I want in the action, lol.

W220 Moderator
LOL Post # 19 says they are from MB OEM Parts, I'd want to verify that they are indeed OEM at that price, or simply pay the piper ;)

As we have both said many many times, (I've given up on many posts now) but if you cannot afford to put decent parts on your MB, go buy a Ford or Honda etc ;)

Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
I have a chinese set of W220 sway bar bushing here. Customer brought it to me and left the car overnight.

By the way, complete sway bar with bushing is $790 here, my cost. $155 for a brand new sway bar is dirt cheap. Don't know where you guys are finding at that price, but I want in the action, lol.
You wanna some action? I give-a you some action! :)

It's item #8. Remember to use the free shipping code!

LOL Post # 19 says they are from MB OEM Parts, I'd want to verify that they are indeed OEM at that price, or simply pay the piper ;)

As we have both said many many times, (I've given up on many posts now) but if you cannot afford to put decent parts on your MB, go buy a Ford or Honda etc ;)
HEY! I've got a Ford and two Hondas, too, MISTER!!

馃榿 :ROFLMAO:

Your point remains valid, though, of course, and that's true of any car. A couple of months ago, I had to re-do the steering linkage on my (yes, Ford) truck due to rust having corroded a critical piece over the years. I had bought the truck brand-new, so everything on it was original. I used Moog Problem Solver components. These were either "made in USA" or somewhere in the EU. Definitely not Chinesium. Actually, there was one Moog part that was made in China, so I bought the Motorcraft (i. e. Genuine Ford) part and installed that instead; it wasn't at all expensive. My new shocks, at all four corners, are Bilstein--also not Chinesium. Our Hondas likewise now get either Genuine Honda parts or a good aftermarket (e. g. Moog Problem Solver, maybe Beck-Arnley depending on the specific part). This is so I don't have to do the job again.

Case in point: one of the Civics, the '94, has developed a squeaking in the back when going over bumps. I had rebuilt that rear suspension sometime in, I think, 2013 or 2014. So, why's it squeaking? Not knowing better, I had used some Chinesium, specifically, the lower control arm, the camber kit, and the McPherson struts. I will probably have to replace the struts, at least, and I'm quite sure that I'll do the entire thing. LESSON LEARNED.

When I rebuilt the front suspension earlier this year, that was all good parts (Beck-Arnley, Moog PS, etc.). The replaceable bushings at the rear of the front LCA's are Genuine Honda. The front McPherson struts are Japanese-made KYB Strut-Pluses. Motor mounts are either Genuine Honda or (made in Germany) Febi. Coolant hoses are either Genuine Honda or "made in USA" AC Delco (I checked origin before purchase). Valve cover gasket, valve cover bolts, and oil pan gasket are all Genuine Honda, after a bad experience with Chinesium ones (never again!). I do tend to get Genuine Honda whenever I can.

That sort of experience is why I am just as against Chinesium as Dave is. I've gotten bitten enough times already. He's right.

Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
Remember the sway bar is a spring and springs wear out over time. The sway bar is now over 13 years old and worn replace the bar the way it was designed to be done. Just cutting the bushes off and replacing them without them being held in the correct position will allow the bar to move further then intended and reduce the effectiveness of it.

W220 Moderator
@pinkster ................

Aye ............. But cutting them off and fitting Chinesium is cheaper mister :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

W220 Moderator
Believe it or not I have seen that when doing pre MOT Tests here :rolleyes:

Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
Yeah, PO had done it to my w220. Long story short, removed, cut bushes off used aftermarket 300c bushes for 2 weeks while new bar came from Germany.

Never know what you will find when you buy secondhand.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts