Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes S500 2002 Yamaha R6 2005 Suzuki SV650S
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody knows who sells front sway bar bushings??? Everybody sells sway bar links, but I can not find bushings.

It is for 2000 S500

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have just replaced my front sway bar end links. I want to solve the knocking sound coming from the front end. I was looking for a set of sway bar bushing at the first, nothing was able and have to replace the whole sway bar. So I tried a cheaper way to replace the sway bar end link to see whether I can solve the knocking sound.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well did the knocking went away ??? Also did you tried dealer. I was just at the dealer the other day but forgot to ask how much they are :(

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
As far as I know, sway bar bushings are not sold seperately from sway bars for these cars.
A month ago I've had my sway bar with end links replaced - the knocking sound has gone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The knocking sound made me very upset, so I tried different things to solve it. Finally it came down that spraying WD 40 between the rubber and the sway bar cure the knocking sound. I don't know how long this will hold, but I will drive my S a long distance tomorrow. Maybe an update afterwards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
The WD40 able to cure all the knocking sound from the sway bar bushing after a long trip. However I would like to know does the sway bar move while driving?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if we could put some other model sway bar bushing. After all it is a piece of rubber. As long as it fits should be fine anything.

It moves when you go over the bumps and stuff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally replaced the front sway bar. All the weird sound from the front are gone. Sorry forgot to take pictures of the worn bushing on the sway bar, but it looks that the sway bar do move a lot while driving. The bushing was rubbed down a lot comparing to new. The WD40 test helped to locate the cause of the weird sound from the front. Thx.

·
Registered
01 CLK55 AMG
61 Posts
You can get sway bar bushings from energysuspensionparts.com. they sell a bunch of other bushing replacement but it is all for performance and better handling. I have a clk55 looking for info and this poped up. wanted to let you know they sell them. used them in 6 or so cars. you just need to know your sway bar diameter size in MM. mine is 18mm from the parts replacment info but the amg has a larger swaybar but the 320 and 430 clk have 18 mm so i am trying to find out if it is the same or larger... lol

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
I just did this, bar and all.

The bushings are odd because the brackets are odd. The bushings have these bumps which fit into the two piece brackets. You bolt the brackets to the bushing and the bar to the car. The bushings don't twist or move at all. They are very stiff rubber it seems.

Given the lack of a market, there is no way that an aftermarket company would supply these bushings.

·
Registered
2003 CLK500
24 Posts
I just did this, bar and all.

The bushings are odd because the brackets are odd. The bushings have these bumps which fit into the two piece brackets. You bolt the brackets to the bushing and the bar to the car. The bushings don't twist or move at all. They are very stiff rubber it seems.

Given the lack of a market, there is no way that an aftermarket company would supply these bushings.
There was a reply earlier in this thread that provided a link to a place that sells the bushings. I just read it - didn't verify.

How long did the job take?

What model do you have?

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
There was a reply earlier in this thread that provided a link to a place that sells the bushings. I just read it - didn't verify.

How long did the job take?

What model do you have?
Energy Suspension sells bushings, they don't sell THESE bushings. The bushings seem to be glued or otherwise attached to the bar. I didn't fiddle with the old one beyond trying to get them off by hand, but they seem to be on there pretty solid.

Job took me about 2.5 hours from wheels up to wheels down, but I also had a sway bar bracket that had some stripped threads which I needed to run a tap through. I have a s500 4matic. Its not hard.

can you post photos and measurements of the old bushings, it would be a great thing for the forum. We could figure out an easy universal bushing solution to this issue.
Well, you won't find a universal solution to this problem due to the way the brackets are designed, removing them from the bar aside.

But sure, I can take pics and measurements if you'd like.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
Alright guys, heres the deal.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like there is a metal/composite/whatever shell around the rubber bushing. You'll see that this looks whitish in the pics. It seems to be bonded to the rubber and is not coming off. I wailed on this thing with a hammer and rubber mallet and it did not move at all. Also, there is no split in the rubber so far as i can tell, so getting this thing on and off will be difficult so far as I can tell.

Bar is about 32mm in diameter (1.25"ish) and the bushing shell is about 2" in diameter.

here are the pics:

·
Registered
5 Posts
well did the knocking went away ??? Also did you tried dealer. I was just at the dealer the other day but forgot to ask how much they are :(
I have a 2002 Mercedes Benz S430 contacted the dealer And they informed me for my vehicle I would have to buy the whole bar. They do not sell the bushings separately. However aftermarket are available.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,363 Posts
Fortunately, the whole bar is not that expensive, $155 over at MBOemParts. If those bushings are difficult to get off completely, then it might be worth the time to just get a new bar.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts