Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'83 240D Auto 67k; '83 240D Manual 97k; '83 240D Manual 198k; '83 240D Manual 340k; '81 300D; S420
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for the installation of the front sway bar bushing but didn't get much info that helped me; all I really got was that it is a "PITA". I haven't attempted the one on the driver's side under the brake booster but the one under the battery tray was pretty easy. At first I tried hammering it in with no luck. Then I tried sitting on the car and jacking it up with the bushing not even close to going in. Then I pulled on the sway bar with my hand away from the fire wall and was able to get the bushing on pretty easily. The mount/cover that you unbolt to get the bushing out is not symmetrical so pay attention to it before you take it off.

Does anyone have any good advice for the driver's side sway bar bushing? I did a search for that as well and only saw people saying that you don't need to take the booster off. I could barely see the top nut much less think of getting my hand in there to get the bushing on.

Looking forward to any advice.

Tom

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,955 Posts
I helped with replacing the bushing recently. A jack with a piece of wood so that you can move the sway bar a bit helps. We worked from the front wing as well as from above. There is a hole covered by a plastic cap in the wing, if the cap is removed, you have some more access to the area where the bushing is.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,513 Posts
When I did mine I removed the Brake Booster and the Master Cylinder as a unit. I had a Swivel Socket but it could be done with a U-Joint and Socket on an extension.
On mine I found that there was a Metal Bracket Hanging down on the upper left. That Bracket has a hole in it. You can put your Socket and Extension through that hole and you get a much straighter shot at the Nuts that hold the Brake Booster on.

I am glad I took the Brake Booster off because on both sides I had to do some Rust removal and paint with anti-rust primer; so I needed all the room I couls get.

The ugly Read Arrows point at the Plastic covers that pull out.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 300td (sold)
304 Posts
It's not that bad a job, but you do need to loosen the brake booster. No need to detatch the brake lines -- they have enough flex that you can pull the assembly away from the firewall so you can get at the bushing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts