Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300D european spec
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this 1984 300D natrually aspirated about a month ago. Nice car in very good shape over all. It's a eurospec car with the smaller bumpers, euro adjustable headlights etc.

Anyway the left front tire is worn on the inside edge. I did a search but couldn't fine anything definitive about trouble shooting the front end. Seems like the going advice is that it's "most likely" to be the upper control arm. Is there a procedure to check to make sure it's just the upper control arm and not the lower control arm too?

Also what is a good manual to buy for this car and what is a good source for the manual. I'd really like one that covers the euro spec cars as well.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1984 MERCEDES-BENZ 300 TURBO DIESEL, 1978 CHEVROLET K20 CUSTOM DELUXE
365 Posts
I bought a factory service manual for my car on CD from the Mercedes classic center. It was $25 plus shipping brought it to like $33 or something. My car is a us model. I am not sure about where to get a euro manual but you could try calling Mercedes classic center and see what they say, they are very nice. Or maybe you could try some Mercedes center in Europe.:) Ps,,, congrats on the new car. I just got my 84 300 turbo diesel about a month ago. You should post some pictures. Is it auto or manual transmission.

·
Registered
'84 300D european spec
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to get some pics up soon. Over all the car is in really good shape. Paint needs to be detailed, interior is real clean and intact.

The main reason I'd like the manual covering the european models is that there are a couple of differences, like the headlights that can be adjusted from inside, the car and a different headlight switch that has the parking light settings on it if you rotate it to counterclockwise past the off position.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Anyway the left front tire is worn on the inside edge. I did a search but couldn't fine anything definitive about trouble shooting the front end. Seems like the going advice is that it's "most likely" to be the upper control arm. Is there a procedure to check to make sure it's just the upper control arm and not the lower control arm too?

It could very well be the upper control arm but I would say it is most likely going to be both if they are both original parts.

To check for front suspension wear I find it best to make up some thin slip plates so that you are able to move the suspension parts (if you are strong) with the weight on the ground whilst not being hindered by the friction of the tyre on ground. For this situation it is safest to do one wheel at a time on a set of slip plates as a car on slip plates can be surprisingly mobile. If you were looking for the sources of noises then you'd have little option but to put both front wheels on slip plates.

Also what is a good manual to buy for this car and what is a good source for the manual. I'd really like one that covers the euro spec cars as well.

Thanks,
Dan
The factory service manual (FSM) is now available for free via www.startekinfo.com if you can stand their antiquated web interface.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Visually inspect the rubber bushings at the inner point of the Upper Control Arms.

·
Registered
'84 300D european spec
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get back under there this week and then order some parts. It's not making any noises at all. Steering is a bit loose and the left front tire is wearing funny, that's about all. Other than the inevitable issues with running down vacuum leaks.

Thanks for the tip on the manual. I will try to download it this evening from home.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I am 90% sure inner Tire Wear is caused by the Lower Control Arm Bushings. With the exception that a Tie Rod end could be shot and Toeing out that particular side.

Upper Control Arm Bushing cause outside edge wear. I am not sure if there is another cause of that unless the Upper Control Arm Ball Joint can cause that.
At least you can see the Upper Control Arm Bushings.

·
Registered
'84 300D european spec
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, looks like the additional link is closer as far as the year is concerned but only goes to 1981.

As far as the bushings, I'm going to try and check them all. The manuals I've found are close enough for now to get the suspension sorted.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Unless they are extremely bad you will not be able to check the Lower Control Arm Bushings.
The places where the Arms Pivot on the Suspension pivot on the Elasticity of the Rubbber.
In the picture of My Lower Control Arm Bushing you can see where the what is supposed to be solid Rubber has sheared away from the outer part.

That cannot be seen from the outside due to other parts that cover it.

You can see more of the Upper Control Arm Bushing.

Another issues is that people haver replaced only that parts that were needed and paid for an Front End Alinement only to have the other parts give out several months later.
I guess was lucky; both of my Lower Control Arm Bushings gave out at the same time

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts