Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 W210 2 litre manual. First modern classic Merc I have owned.
Usually buy older Jaguar 4 litre XJ6's. What a nice driving and beautifully put together car ! I am well and truly hooked. Next to no rust and really nice Alexandrite Green. The only fault in this magnificent vehicle is a clunk from front suspension when going over uneven roads. I suspect either Sway Bar Bushes or Control arm bushes (maybe both Sway Bar and Control Arm).
How can I tell and are these mega jobs to do up my driveway.

Thanks for your guidance,

Barry in Scotland UK

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Baz,I suspect you are right.

The first thing to check is the anti roll bar bushes and the drop links at the ends of the bar.

Next would be the lower ball joints.
Then the track rod ends and,
finally the lower suspension arm bushes.

You can do all the jobs on your driveway with stands.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
the cause of the clunk is usually because of the swaybar/stabiliser links. might as well replace the swaybar bushings since you will be down there. the lower control arm bushings don't really cause a clunk, but if they are worn bad then the front end will seem loose all over the place.
the swaybar links and the bushings are both pretty cheap and fairly easy to replace. shouldn't take you more than 1 hour to replace both front sides in your driveway, but take your time if first time.
the control arm bushings are time consuming and definitely not easy, you will need to drop the control arm and remove the springs for this job. for now just replace the stabilizer links and swaybar bushings and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts