Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do a front end rebuild on my 88 560SL...just turned 100,000 miles New ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods and drag link. Motor mounts and front subframe bushings were already done along with sway bar bushings and tranny mount. Several questions...

1. Removing/installing lower ball joints. Will one of the loan a tool ones from Autozone or O'Reilly's work? If not...suggestions?

2. Upper control arms. I am considering replacing the upper control arms rather than using the MB ball joint repair kit. There are splits and grease leaking in the original ones (upper ball joint rubber boots). Parts Geek has them (OEM) for $390 each with bushings already installed. Has anyone gone this route?

3. Can the brake caliper/steering knuckle be removed as one unit or should the caliper be removed first?

Thanks and happy holidays to all....

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,355 Posts
The upper control arms on the 560 have to be replaced. The ball joints are not replaceable. Good luck with PartsGeek.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,329 Posts
I bought a pair of ucm's for my 380SL for about $150 each from BuyMB a couple years ago. I figured it would save money over buying just the ball joints since I was paying for labor and this would save time.

Are the 560's that different or has the dollar tanked in value since then?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts