Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone changed their lower control arm bushings themselves - MBWorld.org Forums

ref to Inner rear on front.

I have been having a light vibration at about100kph (62mph) ever since I had the SLK. Comes and goes .

Had two sets of wheels and tyres, a few balances but never fixed it completely.
After reading the above link I am pretty sure the tramlining and movement under brakes we get is associated with these open designed bushes,

What I dont know is if the bush is the same on ours as the C class W202. The lower arm pic looks the same...

LPD Auto parts has the urethane bush for $46US a pair
Welcome to LPDAUTO.COM (ADUS 597)

Any one help out here?? Im willing to try them out...Any help from any of you mech minded chappies?

BAzzle

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
I can understand why a damaged bushing might exacerbate a vibration, but it wouldn't cause the resonant vibration you complain about. Both my SLKs experienced vibrations at 100-110kph. The causes were variously a damaged wheel, out of balance wheel, and finally cured by rotating the tyre on the rim - small differences in balance of rim and tyre can add or cancel.
My ride is now completely smooth - no vibration at any speed.
Maybe it's another rotating part on a wheel - wheel bearing (you would hear that) or rotor not uniform / balanced (should feel that in brake pedal)? Just guessing.
Still, if you have the time, changing the bushings is worth a try I suppose. I can't help you on how to do it - other than go to the nice man at the garage, ask him to do it, and pay money afterwards. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts