Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone changed their lower control arm bushings themselves - MBWorld.org Forums

ref to Inner rear on front.

I have been having a light vibration at about100kph (62mph) ever since I had the SLK. Comes and goes .

Had two sets of wheels and tyres, a few balances but never fixed it completely.
After reading the above link I am pretty sure the tramlining and movement under brakes we get is associated with these open designed bushes,

What I dont know is if the bush is the same on ours as the C class W202. The lower arm pic looks the same...

LPD Auto parts has the urethane bush for $46US a pair
Welcome to LPDAUTO.COM (ADUS 597)

Any one help out here?? Im willing to try them out...Any help from any of you mech minded chappies?

BAzzle

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
I can't comment on whether they are the same, but if you find they are the same you might want to search the archives at CLUB202.COM to read some of the comments from people who have installed them.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
I can understand why a damaged bushing might exacerbate a vibration, but it wouldn't cause the resonant vibration you complain about. Both my SLKs experienced vibrations at 100-110kph. The causes were variously a damaged wheel, out of balance wheel, and finally cured by rotating the tyre on the rim - small differences in balance of rim and tyre can add or cancel.
My ride is now completely smooth - no vibration at any speed.
Maybe it's another rotating part on a wheel - wheel bearing (you would hear that) or rotor not uniform / balanced (should feel that in brake pedal)? Just guessing.
Still, if you have the time, changing the bushings is worth a try I suppose. I can't help you on how to do it - other than go to the nice man at the garage, ask him to do it, and pay money afterwards. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts