Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore apart my entire front suspension today. I pulled off everything except the steering damper and the tie-rods. I would have put it all back together today but I got sent two left UCAs. I gotta track down a right one tomorrow. Anyway, I also realized that the Hayne's manual doesn't have crap for torque specs. and I can't figure out what the parts are that it does give specs for.

I need pretty much all the front susp. specs.:
-lower ball joint nuts
-large upper control arm bolts (that go through the body)
-big idler arm nut (that goes through the bushing)
-tie rod end nuts
-track rod end nuts
-guide rod mount bolts
-brake caliper bolts
-lower control arm eccentric bolt
-guide rod to lca bolt

I'm putting loctite on everything that looks like it had some on it before. But off the top of my head I can only think of two places that had it: the guide rod mount bolts and the spring perch bolts. Anything else?

What a day....

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
GNT with some blue loctite. The only ones you really have to worry about overtorquing are the UCA bolts on the sway bar and spindle.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Not sure about loktite that wasn't there before.

In the pic at the very bottom is a definition for 2nd version starting in 1977, so that info is on the chart.

Attachments

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I finished up yesterday. The steering is a lot tighter (and it wasn't so bad before) but the ride is a lot harsher. Hopefully an alignment and a bit of time will take care of that.

I'll comment more on ride quality and handling after I drive it for a bit.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realized that I put the shock covers under the plate and rubber mount thing instead of over, so I guess I have to redo those. Not a big deal.

Also, I'm hearing some clicking from the front left wheel under hard right cornering. I'll try tightening the axle nut a bit and see if that helps, otherwise I guess I need a new bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts