Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2000 ML430 with 146K. I am in process of upgrading the ride. It was pretty bad when I got it. First was alignment. That was good. New Pirelli's are on the way.

Next up are front shocks. I will DIY those. I have been reading the forum for front shock recommendations/warnings. Probably will stay away from Bilsteins or Monroe.

autohausaz.com has the following

Sachs-Boge OEM Shock Absorber; Front Left/Right Part #311367
Limited Lifetime Warranty. $88.89 each

partsgeek.com has the following

KYB Shock Absorber Position: Front
Part Number: 6420-05118021
Notes: GR2 / Excel-G -- Recommended OE Replacement
$54.86 each

I read that KYB was OEM but as of now I am not certain. Will I need a mounting kit or special tool for this with either?

Anyone find better pricing or recommend a different supplier?

Anything I should be watching out for?

·
Registered
2002 ML 500 Sport
91 Posts
I got gr2 from rock auto (same as original) for $51 each no special tools also try to change sway bar bushings (from dealer $39 maybe less in us?)

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
Im running the KYB GR2's also, and Im happy with them. They feel a bit firmer then the OEMS but they are a great value and not an extreme change.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Dogger - Did you need a mounting kit or did it come with all the bolts and stuff you needed?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,750 Posts
I really like the Sachs. Installed a few sets and the ML owners loved them. One had the Monroes and
was ditching them after 20k miles. I have been in a 430 with the 1st gen Bilsteins and it was a hard ride.
The 2nd gens are supposed to be less harsh, but are only made for late production 99s and newer.
I can't get them for my ML. It was built in 11/98.

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
863 Posts
Bilsteins on all 4 corners.

Fronts are DIY. Rear, not recommended as DIY. Shop took 2 hours just to remove them. Don't forgot about pro spring compressor is needed.
JM

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
I have two OE rear strut assemblies with the Benz logo stamped on the box. Pull them out and there is the word kyb on a plastic sticker tag. So I am inferring the factory rears are kyb. Which makes me want to go kyb for the front too.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
My fronts were originally KYB... stamped right on them. Went with the new Bilsteins and have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
My ML is running oversized tires. 30.5".. when they wear out I plan on going even bigger. My ML is setup as a river/beach/camping vehicle. For long trips I take the cayenne or c43. With that said would bilsteins (h2 revision) be the best pick because they are Heavy Duty? Do you think the billy's will be the longest lasting? The KYB's are like 60% cheaper but I will spring for the billy's (no pun intended) if they are a better pick. I am redoing my whole front and rear suspension, bushings, ball joints, etc and dont want to mess with it again for another 100k.

·
Registered
2011 GL-450 2006 CLK-350 Cabriolet
69 Posts
Funny but I just noticed a clunking coming from my front end not when I go over bumps. I was told its my lower ball joints, ughhh, but now someone states it the uppers or the control arm bushing. All in all this is one of those either change it all or find out exactly what is wrong. If I put it up on a lift what exactly do I check for???

I just picked up the KYB's and want to change them after I figure out whats up with this noise.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
trying to private you back about the sway bar but you have no room for PMS. sorry for the intrusion on the thread for this.

I have two OE rear strut assemblies with the Benz logo stamped on the box. Pull them out and there is the word kyb on a plastic sticker tag. So I am inferring the factory rears are kyb. Which makes me want to go kyb for the front too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I dont know much about offroad setups but I would imagine you dont want a super harsh shock. I would imagine KYB would be a good route. Not positive though, nor have I run the Bils, I am on KYBs now and they are stockish, maybe a little firmer.

My ML is running oversized tires. 30.5".. when they wear out I plan on going even bigger. My ML is setup as a river/beach/camping vehicle. For long trips I take the cayenne or c43. With that said would bilsteins (h2 revision) be the best pick because they are Heavy Duty? Do you think the billy's will be the longest lasting? The KYB's are like 60% cheaper but I will spring for the billy's (no pun intended) if they are a better pick. I am redoing my whole front and rear suspension, bushings, ball joints, etc and dont want to mess with it again for another 100k.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Yo dogger hit me again i cleared that thing out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts