Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am about to replace my front and rear shocks on my 1980 300SD with a new set. I want to start on the front shocks. I opened the hood and I see where the shock towers are located in the engine bay.

Each shock tower has 2 nuts on the top. How do I remove these nuts? I used an adjustable wrench to hold the top of the shock tower while I attempted to turn the 2 nuts with a box end wrench. The box end is thick enough where it is actually locked onto both nuts at the same time. However, they are not turning..... I am confused? Am I doing this right?

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,054 Posts
Take one nut off at a time. The top nut is to lock the bottom one in place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take one nut off at a time. The top nut is to lock the bottom one in place.
Ok. Is there are better tool to hold the shock tower from turning while I loosen the nut? The amount of torque required to lossen the nut is going to cause the adjustable wrench to slip and round the edges of the shock tower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it. Bought a thinner wrench and held the bottom nut while I unscrewed the top nut. Thin wrench is the trick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need to compress the spring when removing shocks on a 1980 300sd w116? I dont want the spring to fly out and hit me. Not sure if a spring compressor is required.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Do I need to compress the spring when removing shocks on a 1980 300sd w116? I dont want the spring to fly out and hit me. Not sure if a spring compressor is required.
I don't think you do on that car. I have changed them on a W123 and did not have to screw with the spring. Is the shock inside the spring? don't think so, so just take off the bolts on top and then you should have a couple holding it at the bottom. remove them and pull out the shock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts