Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my S550 at the dealer for a simple detaille when I got the car back both seats didn't move forward like they did before.
I complaint and they put the car on the computer and it supposedly showed module problem I doubt that can happen to both seats at the the same time and they stop going forward at the same point ALL other funktions on the drive dynamic seats working fine.
I took the car and my mechanic who used to work for the dealer and has 20 years experience put it on the computer and it didn't show a module problem everything looked ok.
So he disconnected the seat computer and got the power direct from the battery the same result the seats didn't move forward they going a little bit back and moving forward to the same point.
so he said that it has to be a mechanical problem ,I can't believe it as both seats worked fine before and how much the detailler could really messed up i first thought that they might had all doors open and AC running so it could be a low voltage problem but after he said that he powered it direct I'm not sure what to think anybody an Idea?
I googled the problem and couldn't find anything this is like a chance 1 to a million that both seats to the same time have a mechanical breakdown

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,842 Posts
Have you tried the reset procedure in the "RESETS" section of general info in our DIY FAQs?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can either hold the button forward for 5 seconds after it stops moving.
Same with backward.
Or go through the seat normalization process in DAS.
I have a hard time believing that 2 people hooked it up and did not do that process. But you never know.

I personally have found that 90% of problems related to seat movement does indeed come from the module

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the recess procedure it didn't help
What do you mean with "seat normalization process in DAS "?
I;m agree with you are saying that it mostly is the module but when he bypassed it and gave it direct power from the battery the seat didn't move
Also what could the detailers have done to create something like that I'm completely lost here if someone would have told me the story I wouldn't believe it,
. I'm also not sure can I insist that the dealer fix it I mean it worked fine when I dropped it off.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I agree with possible low voltage theory have dealer revisit, at no cost, to normalize both seat modules using Xentry. Fault codes normally are not associated with need to normalize. Alternative, have independent revisit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your advice ,this morning I went to my Indy first he told me that he already tried that before to normalize the seat control and it didn't worked .
Thats why he put direct power from the battery on and the same result the seats didn't move a lot so his advice was to get a used chassis and transfer the cushions.
I still can't believe how a mechanical fail can happen to the same time when all they did was detailing the car inside.
I still went to the dealer and ask them to normalize the seat controls it came back with the same result that it didn't worked and they said it has to be stuck something in the tracks.
They will take the seat out to see what is going on ,the director of service already let over the weekend my advisor and the foremen know that if I come they dealership will not be liable .
Somehow my advisor ,which I know 20 years still tried to help me.
I didn't hear from them so the car is still at the dealer and I guess they let me know tomorrow.
My Indy told me that it will be very difficult to get the seat out as you only can reach 2 screws to get access to the other two you normally have to move the seat forward what is not possible so I hope the dealer able to do it.
There still is the question then how that could happen .

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Odd that both seats developed the same mechanical problem simultaneously. Bottom line, given circumstances dealer is responsible for repair.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is more then odd not only it is on both seats they stop exactly both at the same point,the dealer will say that it was not his fault because they did nothing then detailing the car so what chance do I have ?
My advisor called me today the car is still there and they didn't take the seat out ,I ask him what they did and he said they looking into it but didn't laborate .
He only ask me if I have a second key ,which I don't have,and also wouldn't make any difference as they and my indy saying it's a mechanical failure.
My indy thinks a gear is broken but again it wouldn't explain both seats
Thank you for letting me vent here

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update
My advisor just called me said don't shoot the messenger but they told him that they will not work for free on the car anymore and not taking out the seat{s}
So I'm not sure what to do and how I can prove that this was not an existing problem.
It is almost impossible to drive as the seats are so far back I'm 6 Feet tall and can reach the accelerator only with the tip of my shoe

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I assume detail was interior & exterior. How did dealer detail interior if seats were not functioning properly. Even if it were only an exterior detail they would need to drive the vehicle and most certainly would have advised manager if seats were not functioning properly as not to be held liable. I would suggest you contact your AG to see what they have to say: https://myfloridalegal.com/

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes it was interior & exterior.
I'm just back from the dealer, I talked to probably highest authority there also used the argument that someone from detaille should have notify if there was a problem with the seat.
They probably wouldn't notify anybody (REMOVED).
So he agreed to look further into it

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,842 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
ulflei
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing