Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know off hand another type of vehicle that has seat belts that fit the bolts and fit into the B pillar cavity of a W126?

My SR tensioners exploded the other day just for fun.

I'm thinking something out of a 90's Crown Victoria, as the bolt diameters are the same. It would be nice to know of any other vehicle that works to increase my chances of coming away with something, as I won't find a W126 at a wrecker.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
You cant just change the s/b due to failures in the complete srs system. The seatbelts have got some kind of explosive in it to pull you back in an accident. The rolling mechanism is wired to the crash sensor and airbags and you will set the entire system out of operation, if you disconnect the seatbelt.

I´m sure, someone here can help you with an original one.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You cant just change the s/b due to failures in the complete srs system.
Sure I can.

I've disconnected the air bag since (thankfully that didn't go off as well), and I'm not concerned if the "new" seat belts have pyrotechnic tensioners; I'd rather they didn't considering the originals went off for no reason what so ever.

A 23 year old supplemental restrain system that doesn't work as intended (and would likely kill you even if it did) isn't really my idea of a safety feature.

Regular seat belts with inertia reels is all I'd like, but from where...

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additionally:

The issue I see with sourcing originals from the US or elseware is that they cannot be shipped due to the explosives cartridge. As it stands, I cannot drive the car. Thus my requirement for a simple seat belt that works.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 420,

I came across those exact belts in my search, coincidently. Those would be excellent if I had a Ford or Chrysler, but the issue with the W126 is that the loop the belt goes around is very narrow.

The loop I'm talking about is the top loop, the one that directs the belt from vertical in the pillar to angled across the torso. To fit behind the height adjuster, that loop has to be fairly narrow.

I suppose I was searching for someone to say "I had this problem with my belts, and I found that belts out of a 19XX XXXXX XXXX fit perfectly."

I'll try something out of a 190 or 90's era Mercedes in a wrecker.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, you're absolutely right, our seat belts are the same width.

It's just that the loop through which they run is particularily narrow in the W126, so the trick is to find a belt that also has narrow loops.

The ones you've pictured, for example, are the standard belt width but have plenty of space to move about in the shoulder loops.

I'll just find something that works and post it for the next guy who has the tensioners spontaneously explode.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Wow never heard of that happening. Were you or anyone else in the car? Hope nobody was hurt.
And did they both go off? I'm just wondering what the fault would be.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to swap the originals back in, and remove the tensioners prior, but the issue is that there are none of these cars in junk yards around here.

They both went off as I was driving at about 70km/h down a major road by myself. It really sounds like both your front tires are exploding simultaneously. Aside from the ringing in my ears and a severe tug on the shoulder, everything was alright. The reactants in the gas generator are definitely nasal irritants.

Only the tensioners went off, not the air bag. Everything has been disconnected, and the SRS light is not on but is functioning.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
I just changed over my drivers side and did not change the shoulder loop, the B pillar anchor point went straight through the shoulder loop with no problem - bolt in the inertia reel, bolt in the B pillar anchor - it took me longer to get the trim reinstalled...

BTW I changed mine because the inertia reel had stopped taking up the belt properly any more, not because the charge had gone off.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the record, seat belts out of a W124 fit directly, but if you're able to figure out the reassembly of the interior trim you likely could have figured this out on your own.

I removed the seat belts from a 1989 300E. If you find that you cannot pull the belt out of the reel when you're holding the assembly in your hand, don't fret. Install the reel assembly in the pillar and then gently try to pull it out. It takes a lock smiths hands- finesse is the key here. When you feel the clutch engage, gracefully allow the belt to glide back into the reel ever so slightly and then try to pull it out again.

The above was the most irritating part of the install. Once installed, the excessively sensitive clutch is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,949 Posts
I am sure some naive eBay seller will ship a set to you , and not report they are explosive on the shipping forms.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
I checked my car and it has pre-tensioners, but no airbags. Does this sound right? That would mean there is an SRS module somewhere but there is no dash light. I wonder if air-bags are just added and wired into the same module.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SRS is taken to mean 'supplemental restraint system' and would therefore be related to anything additional to the RS, which is the 'restraint' system. The air bag supplements the seat belts, so the SRS module would only control the gas generator of the air bag.

The seat belt tensioners are controlled by an RS module.

This is the reason my seatbelts went off but the SRS light did not go on. There is a fault in the RS side of the circuit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts