Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 200D (w123)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell how to remove the front seat (driver's seat) arm rest from a '85 W123 please? I want to install seat covers but this thingamajig is against me somehow. I could not find any help from a workshop manual and on the other hand, couldn't find any other manuals to look in.

Thanks in advance

Sami

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Arm rest

Slide the passenger seat full forward. Slide the driver's seat full back. There is a cover that hides the clip holding the armrest onto the driver's seat. Remove the clip and the armrest can be removed. There in a spring that holds the clip too. The problem you will have however, is that the bar the armrest pivots on is attached to the driver's seat internally. You will not be able to remove the bar unless you take the back of the seat apart. I would suggest cutting a small hole in your seatcover for the bar to slide through if you want to continue to use the armrest.

·
Registered
1985 200D (w123)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arm rest

Thanks for the advice. However, I started to dismantle the armrest by removing the clip and other guts which got me into trouble. The armrest contains a lot of parts and is in my view a bit too complex a design, gives dark thoughts, dirty hands and gets you nowhere. The bar the armrest pivots has a big flange in it so that you should make a huge hole in the seat cover if tried to slip the cover on that way.

The best thing to do is really to take the back panel of the seat away and unscrew the nut holding the bar.

Now the seatcovers are on and fits nicely thanks to advice from Ed!

[8D]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.