Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the unforntunate coinincidence of being in the same place/same time as an irresponsible and aggressive driver. After the insurance adjuster and police officer backed up the true story instead of the other drivers fabrication I will be receiving an insurance check.

The damage is limited to the front driver side quarter panel and turn signal. The quarter panel is not repairable and will need to be replaced. I have access to a parts car and some spare time. I want to swap out the quater panels. Is this a job that can be done with just hand tools or do I need to bring it to a body shop?

I not familiar with and haven't taken a look yet at how quarter panels are attatched. I'm going outside right now to take a look, I'm just looking for a little insight from someone with experience. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
It's very easy to do the swap. Very.
The fender is just a skin that attached to the front structure at a bunch of locations.
You open the hood and reach down to the turn signal assembly to squeeze the tab that holds it in place and then you slide it forward. Don't pry anywhere! There are no screws!

Loosen the 5 13mm nuts that hold the front bumper to the body at the front (4 from underneath, one in front of the condenser fan) and the 10 mm nut inside the wheel well on the side you are servicing. This allows the bumper to droop a bit and you can access other fasteners.

Remove the fastener inside and ahead of the turn signal opening.

Pop off the rubber trim at the fender heel (86-89 MY).

At that point you remove the 10mm head screws along the top edge of the fender, the 3 ahead of the door, and the one at the bumper side.

The fender then lifts off.

No messing with hood hinges or anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Any tips on how to get off the bolts by the door? or the 2 under the side skirt? I didn't want to break anything while attempting

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just did mt passenger side 91 300te 4matic.
Had to put blocks under door bottom and loosen hinge bolts for easy access.
Did not remove bolts, just unscrewed to move door.
BE SURE TO MARK HINGE POSITION WITH REFERENCE MARKS ON HINGE AND DOOR PILLAR!
Saves a lot of adjustment time.
Pried off bottom trim at top. Plastic fasteners popped off. Lower plastic fasteners would not disengage easily (any one know a trick). Finally pulled trim itself out of clip (whole clip stays on fender), remove and put on new fender (I broke the center on -be careful).
Tom

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
msteelsos
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing