Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the front right side turn signal started blinking rapidly, I took the signal casing off to replace the bulb, but in the process I think I damaged the cable leading from the plug. (first picture)
I have no idea how I would even replace it, since it snakes away into a big bundle of cables and leads somewhere I can't see (second picture), and I don't know where I could find a replacement or even what it's properly called.
Alternatively I could solder the wires back together but I've never done anything like that and don't have any equipment for it.
Should I just take it in to a shop?

Attachments

·
Registered
R129 SL500 2001 M113
4 Posts
It's definitely repairable. I'd splice in some wires in (Same gauge of course) and use some quality heat shrink and tape the [email protected]#& out of it. You can Youtube some DIY wire splicing videos that would help but the correct tools would be crucial. Otherwise you could get a quote from a shop. Good luck !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely repairable. I'd splice in some wires in (Same gauge of course) and use some quality heat shrink and tape the [email protected]#& out of it.
Yeah, on closer inspection it only looks like there are three individual wires wrapped up together going into the plug, so it wouldn't be that bad to try and patch it
no idea how I'm going to get any tools/my hands in there though...

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,023 Posts
3 wires, just cut them, then run 3 new long wires through to give youself enough room to work on at both ends.

·
Registered
R129 SL500 2001 M113
4 Posts
Yeah, on closer inspection it only looks like there are three individual wires wrapped up together going into the plug, so it wouldn't be that bad to try and patch it
no idea how I'm going to get any tools/my hands in there though...
Yeah i'd start with the more challenging side and see what you can make of it. But again proper tools will go a long way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update! looked over it last night and pulled some electrical components out of the garage and managed to stick everything back together and tape it up nicely
advice was much appreciated :)

·
Registered
R129 SL500 2001 M113
4 Posts
update! looked over it last night and pulled some electrical components out of the garage and managed to stick everything back together and tape it up nicely
advice was much appreciated :)
Awesome news ! And happy to help (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts