Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Mercedes e350, 09 Mercedes GL450, 95 BMW 325IC, 89 Mercedes 260E, 84 Euro Mercedes 300D 4spd
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 mercedes s500, 100K kilometers 65k miles i been reading lots of posts but now even more confused,

for past week i start noticing that front of the car is start diving over night more and more night after night,

and today when i started the car massage showed up in red "Active body control ABC stop, car too low!"

after running car for 20 seconds car got to the normal high and massage went away. now my center consul have two batons

one with car symbol and up arrow with one red light, and second one with two buttons and shows shock with two curved arrow down,

so does my car have ABC or Airmatic? and what could be the problem for the car getting low over night,

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
You have Airmatic. But you had the "Active body control ABC stop, car too low!" ?

·
Registered
10 Mercedes e350, 09 Mercedes GL450, 95 BMW 325IC, 89 Mercedes 260E, 84 Euro Mercedes 300D 4spd
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
You have airmatic if your strut tops look like the picture at post 19.
You couldn't possibly have that "Active body control ABC stop, car too low!"
message.
Do some leak test with soapy water.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
here is the picture of the massage

driver side

passanger side

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do you do this test where should i start?

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
Never seen an ABC error on a non ABC car.
Anyway, looks like you have done some soapy water test.
Grab the upper part of the fender above front wheel and lift with your hand and see if there is some hissing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never seen an ABC error on a non ABC car.
Anyway, looks like you have done some soapy water test.
Grab the upper part of the fender above front wheel and lift with your hand and see if there is some hissing.
just did iton the both sides, and nothing just quiet no any hissing noise at all,

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
Has the temperature been dipping below 35F lately in the evenings? I have seen some users loosing pressure when cold, some say it is normal some not.
I don't think it is normal, possibly you have a slow leak somewhere. Start from top of the struts with the soapy water and down to strut bottom seals and follow the air lines with the test.

·
Registered
Testing Cars ('01 S430), ('04 CL500), ('05 S500), ('05 SL500), ('07 S550), ('09 E550), ('10 GL450)
87 Posts
Looks like the shocks are leaking around the lower sealing doughnuts. I can see an oil spot on the rubber. That’s a very good sign that your front shocks are getting ready to go out for good. I am confused about the ABC warning light. I would say your instrument cluster has been switched out over time from a car with ABC. You can reprogram it if you can find someone with a DAS computer system. We have remanufactured and even new front air shocks for your car. This will fix your problem. I can see from the pictures that your shocks are original and won’t last very much longer at all. Don’t forget to visit our vendor supporter forum for a discount code that will save you an additional 10% when you purchase online. Please let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Thanks
Adam
Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries

here is the picture of the massage

driver side

passanger side

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it hard to replace this struts?
Is there is instruction. How to do it?

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Welcome to airstrut hell, we all visit there once in a while.

Options:
1) Ignore it till it gets worse and pay more. (Strangely, a popular choice)
2) Use sealant for the top side mastic, or replace the mastic.
3) Remove mastic and replace top side seals.
4) Replace the airstruts with remanufactured or new.

Good advice from Arnott, looks like someone changed your instrument cluster with a used, which is a commen necessity, and did not reprogram - hence ABC message. A shop with STAR diagnostics can reprogram.

From strut top photo - looks like the strut top repair was previously done. Evident from no mastic left (see photo of my original strut top with mastic in place and an interim fix that lasted less than a year). Also, the repair chisel marks are all over the top in the photo. Installers of the new style seal do not have to put the mastic back in place after this fix. BTW - whoever did the repair did not have good workmanship from all the unrepaired chisel marks. (Top side seal repair kit photo is also shown for grins.)

Xexpo is right, a little soapy water at the seal and car lift will tell you if the leak is up top. I previously used a hydraulic jack to listen for the high pitch whistle and look for bubbles in soap. (Whistle lasted about 5-10 seconds). This will tell you if the leak is up top in the repaired seal area.

If you took photos of the lower struts before the soapy water test, or after the soap dried, then the the markings on the lower struts are oil, and you only have one choice.

Replace the front struts. The longer you wait, the harder the compressor has to work, which shortens the life of this $400 component. Delay will not only mean more expensive repair, you may be stranded when the system completely fails, or have front wheel well damage when the car finally sinks for good. If the car is lowered each morning, failure is close at hand.

Arnott has a good deal for remanufactured. I had my replaced by the dealer for $1,000 USD including reman struts. (Choose an indy with STAR diagnostics and get the instrument cluster reset at the same time.) Other forum members have replaced them in DIY fashion.

Good Luck.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where can I find some info how to replace front struts?
I"m talking about instruction how to do it right,

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
See the w220 S-Class Owner's Encyclopedia sticky at the top of first page of the W220 forum. In the thread related to an epoxy fix for upper strut seal leaks there is also a full set of instructions for airmatic strut replacement.

·
Registered
S320
14 Posts
I have a 2000 S320 petrol and I have seen the same warning like you did. I have airmatic suspension and I was also quite shocked when I sawed ABC, car too low and so on. Should I reprogramm it or just leave it? Car is running just fine.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Tom - try the soap bubble test on top of the front strut seal, then jack one of the front fenders to listen for whistle. That is the first sign of trouble.

Instrument Cluster Warning is second sign.

If the car going lower overnight (less than 15" from wheel hub star to fender), then you are in terminal stages of airmatic failure that is going to take the compressor down as well as leave the car undrivable.

·
Registered
S320
14 Posts
shocked,.....haha,....i get it !
Sorry, my english is not perfect.

Well, I got this warning when the car was in the service. Changed tires and when the tires touched ground I sawed that warning. Pushed the airmatic button, car raised just fine and warning dissapeared. Thats it. I was just curious becouse instrument panel showed ABC not Airmatic.

By the way, it is normal that you must press the airmatic button once you change tires etc.? I hope everybody get my question right.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Tom - hate to tell you but your are in stage 1 of airmatic failure. You probably have a top seal leak from your description, not yet too large. Trust me, I've been down this road - it only gets worse.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like the shocks are leaking around the lower sealing doughnuts. I can see an oil spot on the rubber. That’s a very good sign that your front shocks are getting ready to go out for good. I am confused about the ABC warning light. I would say your instrument cluster has been switched out over time from a car with ABC. You can reprogram it if you can find someone with a DAS computer system. We have remanufactured and even new front air shocks for your car. This will fix your problem. I can see from the pictures that your shocks are original and won’t last very much longer at all. Don’t forget to visit our vendor supporter forum for a discount code that will save you an additional 10% when you purchase online. Please let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Thanks
Adam
Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension

Can"t find that code for 10% off

1 - 20 of 41 Posts