Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my local dealership said that my front lower control arm bushings were cracked on my 2002 E320 4matic wagon. Since this is an $1800 job, please help confirm the information they gave me.

The dealership said that MB created upgraded bushings which would last longer, but they required newly designed lower control arms to hold them. Is this true and are these upgraded parts worth the high price?

My bushings lasted 9 years and 90k miles, which is a decent life in my opinion. I'd like to save money by buying only the old style bushings and keeping my old style lower control arms. Is this a good idea, and are these old bushings even sold anymore?

It would help to know part numbers and prices for new and old control arms and bushings so I can decide which I can afford. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
$1800??? what a rape. run away fast. you can buy heavy duty bushings (meyle hd from http://www.autohausaz.com/ part# 2103300475MY or part# 2103300475 for lemforder (oem)) which are supposed to be better built, that's the ones i used and they cost around $60 per side, so about $120 for both left and right from autohausaz. and no need to replace the control arms. the job is a bitch since you need to remove springs, but book hour i think is about 2 hours per side. it took me a good afternoon to replace both left and right bushings without the bushing removal tool. if you buy the parts yourself an indie will probably charge you for a 3-4 hour job, so no more than $400 for an "expensive" indie.
also has the ride feel got worse? if not than the lca bushings could not be that bad. check them out yourself, you can move the control arm with a pry bar or a big screw driver.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I've read a bunch of your threads on the issue, so I know not to try this job myself. I will try to diagnose them with your advise. Going over bumps causes cracking noises from the front end, so I trusted that the dealership diagnosed this properly. But maybe it's lower ball joints, swaybar links or swaybar bushings, which other threads say are easy to replace, thus I may try that job myself.

Unfortunately, for the lca bushings, I can't do the job myself so I can't buy the parts online. This leaves me with buying OEM parts from the dealership. Is there really a new and old control arm design, and which bushings will fit my old control arm? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 E320
211 Posts
Start with the easy ones. Check your sway bar bushings & end links. They are easy DIY. Then check ball joints & tie rod ends. Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
Is there really a new and old control arm design, and which bushings will fit my old control arm? Thanks again.
the control arms are the same, no such thing as new design control arm. the bushings' new design just means they are heavy duty ones. so "updated" bushings will fit the old control arm. also you can buy the whole new control arm, and that comes with new bushings in it, i think they are around $180 from autohaus. the "updated" design is just a heavy duty part.

i agree though with the above post of starting with stabilizer links, bushings, and ball joints.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I got a quote of $800 for the arms and bushings from the dealership parts department. That matches the $1800 job to replace both of them.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
When the dealer did mine a few months ago the part was ....210-330-05-75 rubber mount.

Two of them.

The invoice says they removed both control arms to install -- then alignment.

Same car -- its was covered by CPO

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
firefox, unless you don't mind spending $1800, you are much better off (by over $1200-1400) to have an indie do the job, i'm pretty sure there are plenty in jersey. here is the mb recommended shops U.S. - East - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum , hopefully you are close to one of them. call in advance and ask if they will do the job if you supply the parts. good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Firefox - tirona has solid advice.

I have both a good MB dealer and a top nothc MB indie on tap for service for my cars.

I do you my MB dealer service department on some specific issues - and this front end service for my side is not one of those best-to-use-dealer issues.

A quality MB independent not only is less expensive for this particular front end serrive service (like by over $1000) - but well within the original $1800 original dealer budget for the front end work alone, you have the option with the indie to choose pre-emptive maintenance service in other areas as well (tranny, brakes, climate control) where the pre-emptive service/maintenance will prevent a larger cost later.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,524 Posts
And run away from that dealer. List price on the LCA is $380 apiece.
Also, did you have any symptoms, or did the dealer just volunteer that you needed the job done (so he could make this summer's boat payments)?

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
LCA cant be that bad to do if you have a 4matic. You have to drop them down to do the front CV joints if I recall. From that point it would be just taking the front and rear bolts out and swapping the part. Not sure if the ball joint comes installed in the new one already, but even that cant take too long to do.

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Go with the Meyle HD units. That what the dealers use when they say "new improved" design.

Good luck and keep us posted.:thumbsup:

cheers !!

Mike K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts