Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 s430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While inspecting and checking the steering and front suspension I noticed the boot looks torn where the air strut connects to the front lower control arm. The boot is in similar shape on both sides. Does this warrant replacing both of these control arms?

Here's what it looks like

Automotive tire Rim Electrical wiring Gas Composite material

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,693 Posts
While inspecting and checking the steering and front suspension I noticed the boot looks torn where the air strut connects to the front lower control arm. The boot is in similar shape on both sides. Does this warrant replacing both of these control arms?

Here's what it looks like

View attachment 2757428
You should update your profile so we know what year/model car you have. If your car is a W220, then it's model year is between 2000 to 2006. It is unlikely the factory warranty still cover anything on a sixteen year old car.

If you bought a policy on a used car, then read the disclosure on what is exactly covered.

·
Registered
2001 s430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should update your profile so we know what year/model car you have. If your car is a W220, then it's model year is between 2000 to 2006. It is unlikely the factory warranty still cover anything on a sixteen year old car.

If you bought a policy on a used car, then read the disclosure on what is exactly covered.
Didn't realize my profile didn't have the car's specifics. I'll figure out how to add that but yes, it's a w220 2001 s430. I wasn't even thinking a warranty would cover anything at this point.

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,693 Posts
Didn't realize my profile didn't have the car's specifics. I'll figure out how to add that but yes, it's a w220 2001 s430. I wasn't even thinking a warranty would cover anything at this point.
Oops......sorry, read your post too fast. Warrant vs warranty 😣

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, and 2006 S500 4Matic
6,881 Posts
Unfortunately, yes, you’re looking at a control arm replacement, as that ball joint is not field-replaceable. I’ve done them before, and it’s not a huge job. Only Lemfoerder or Genuine-MB is recommended (Lemfoerder are the OEM for MB for this part).

·
Registered
2001 s430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, yes, you’re looking at a control arm replacement, as that ball joint is not field-replaceable. I’ve done them before, and it’s not a huge job. Only Lemfoerder or Genuine-MB is recommended (Lemfoerder are the OEM for MB for this part).
Ah, thanks. I was considering getting Lemfoerder from FCP Euro. I've seen some tutorials on changing the front suspension and it doesn't look too difficult aside from making sure the system is under load when you do the final tightening, which isn't necessarily that difficult but kind of freaks me out. lol The car drives fine right now. Wondering how urgent this is because I'm going to be fairly busy for the next few weeks. Going to have my mechanic check everything out today as I can't assess something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts