Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you guys put jack stands and a jack on the car. I have only used the jack supplied with the car. Thanks. Im trying to do ball joints this weekend, and really need to know where to jack the car up and put jack stands at.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Where did you guys put jack stands and a jack on the car. I have only used the jack supplied with the car. Thanks. Im trying to do ball joints this weekend, and really need to know where to jack the car up and put jack stands at.
Just inboard of each of the supplied-jack points, and pointing towards the ground, are four hard-rubber support points. (Get down on your hands and knees and crane your head under and you'll see them.) They're also typically used for lifting, as with a floor jack. Since you can't simultaneously use a jack and a jackstand, I typically raise one corner with the factory jack and then put the jackstand in place, then lower the jack and use it on the next side/corner.

Work safely. Once you have the jackstands in place, when you remove the wheels, slide them under the car to support it just in case...since you never know.

Actually, to be safest, just raise one front wheel at a time, change that one, then do the other (but still put the removed wheel under the car).

Good luck! Take some pics and write up what you do, might be useful for some of your fellow members.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is what I am going to do. I thank you so much for that info. It is really going to help me. Now, my only question is this! Once I have the car jacked up with the supplied jack. Where would I put the jackstand since I will be taking the ball joint off. Should I put it on the control arm or where. Because when that sucker finally breaks free, so is the rest of my axle. I dont want it to hit the ground.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
No, no no.

You only use the supplied jack to raise the car at the lift point. You then put the jackstand under the noted support point. and remove the supplied jack.

Then use a floor jack to support the LCA after you remove the wheel. The smaller the better, no need for a big fancy heavy expensive one.

Chock your back wheels for safety, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greg. Are you sure the jack will not bend the lower control arm. Because if that happens, im really screwed. If i hit the ball joint with a hammer, (because it will be stuck on there) wont the weight on the axle coming down possibly bend the LCA?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I am not absolutely sure on your model but I believe you will need a special tool to press the old joints out and the new joints in.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a W208 2000 Clk 320. I should just be able to give them a few good wacks and they should "pop" out.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I need a special tool to press the new ball joints in? I have pickle forks to get them out. But when putting them back in, how do I do that?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
883 Posts
i cant wait to get the write up on this

I have to do the same thing also.

·
52,804 Posts
Lower swivel joint special press

It does need pressing out/in and here are the tools.

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
The alternative is to remove the hub and take it with the new joint to a shop that has a press and let them do it for you. I have done it this way when working in a workshop that does not have the special tools.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I think ill do is go to an auto shop store and rent the tools to be able to do it. But I mean, To get the ball joints out. I could just use pickle forks. Thats easy enough. My only question is how would or do I press them in with that tool? Because our ball joints are L shaped. That tool doesnt look like it would press it in.

·
52,804 Posts
L shaped? I did say I was not sure about the model and have searched through WIS to no avail, could you kindly take a picture of it?

·
52,804 Posts
Here is a picture of the Front lower ball joint.
For this type you do not need a press, just knock it out and it pulls in when tightening the nut.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I figured. Thank you. Hopefully, if my package comes by friday. I can attempt to replace Ball Joints and Steering Damper. If I can get ahold of a camera, I'll take pictures for everyone.

·
52,804 Posts
^Way to go:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can I put the jack on the LCA (lower control arm) when using the pickle forks on the ball joint. When the ball joint lets loose, the whole axle will want to come down. I dont want to bend my LCA if it cant handle the stress. What are your thoughts about it?

·
52,804 Posts
It will not hurt the LCA any.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Can I put the jack on the LCA (lower control arm) when using the pickle forks on the ball joint. When the ball joint lets loose, the whole axle will want to come down. I dont want to bend my LCA if it cant handle the stress. What are your thoughts about it?
Didn't I already answer this? :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts