Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front light bulbs died. (2001 ML320 Sport). What bulbs would you guys recommend and are they easy to change? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I replaced the halogen lights with Osram Silver Star bulbs which perform well and are worth the extra cost IMHO.

I replaced the indicator bulbs with Philips Vision Plus which react faster than standard incandescent bulbs.

My hands and wrists are too large to change the bulbs with the lamps in situ and I had to remove them; that is why I changed all the bulbs at the same time.

It is not too difficult, although you will have to re-adjust the lamps when done. You can park the car a few metres in front of a light coloured wall, mark the position of the light on the wall with masking tape. This will give you something to aim at when re-adjusting.

There are three 10mm bolts to undo, two of which are behind the fibreglass trim under the lights, this trim clips on and off and may require luck/patience to fit.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If your hands and wrist are not as big as marc's, you can probably change them without removing the lights. I had the guy at Advance change them, his wrist were smaller.

Just giving you a hard time marc.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I'm late. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
bought some silver star for my ML at canadian tire at $30 a piece. blew 3 of them before i gave up. i don't think they are good for the mississauga winters.

other owners on the canadian MB board have reported the same.

went back to the cheap GEs for now.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
Could you guys show me any pictures what they are(3bolts for adjustments)?
You should not need to readjust the aim of your headlights if you are just replacing bulbs, even if you remove the entire assembly from the vehicle (in case you have fat hands!).

If you do want to remove the headlight bucket, you need to CAREFULLY remove the plastic trim below the lens. It unclips from in front of the radiator, and then you CAREFULLY swing it outboard, being very careful not to break its plastic ears that fasten it to the fender. This will expose two nuts that need to be removed. There is also one bolt on top, easily seen with the hood open.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 3 bolts (one on top and two behind the fibreglass trim) are not really for adjustment, they are for fixing the lamp to the car (truck).

There are two 6mm hex bolts accessible from above which actually adjust the beam for both left and right and up and down.

And you're welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts