Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wanted to get some opinions here...

Here in sunny FL they don't require a front license plate. I think the SL looks great without a front plate on it but is there a strip that completes the bumper trim if you remove the plate holder?

We currently have a European plate that was on an E350 my fam picked up via european delivery. It is smaller sized, looks pretty cool and has some sentimental value but I was thinking a personalized Euro tag would look good and had one made, but when I went to mount - noticed our US spec foglights are too close together to make this look right...

So what other options are there? I know many ppl have the star plates up there but I think it can look a little over the top with all of those stars up there.

I came across a picture that has a 560SL front plate. Looks like it may be an old OEM optional plate? Has anyone see this before and know where to get it?

What have you done in the plate space on your front bumper? would be curious to see/hear about what you have ended up doing!

Thanks!

Brett & James

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 450SL
69 Posts
i've been looking for a license plate filler myself.. apparently they used to have a bumper filler on performanceproducts.com but no longer. :mad:

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
If your state doesn't require a front plate- take it off! Performance Products, and probably others, offer the filler strip.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
Didn't see your post about no filler from PP:(

I'd check around, even call PerfProd to see if there are any left. My indie has several old 126's etc. parked in the yard. He has removed sections of the rubber strips and used them for this in the past.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
When I had my US-spec 560 SL in Germany (2002-2007), I had a similar issue. The wide, european plates looked goofy because they wouldn't take the contour of the bumper when affixed to the narrow, US-style license plate mount and they obscured the more narrowly-positioned fog lights, too (as you noted).

I opted for the euro-plates designed for American cars. Maybe you could find somewhere that makes custom euro-style plates in that size. MB 560 SL might look nice.

Failing that, why not design your own on your computer? Print it out on a color laser printer, trim to size, use spray adhesive to glue it to one of those plastic novelty plates sold everywhere, and then seal the whole thing in several coats of clear epoxy paint.

Good road,

Attachments

·
Registered
Many different MBZs
138 Posts
I’ve used this procedure with good success on my 107s.
I bought the rubber filler insert strip for the REAR bumper (Sorry I don’t have the part number) which is usually readily available.
Measured it, cut it, and inserted it into the FRONT bumper and VIOLA.
You now have the front license plate frame area filled!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts