Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need to know how to remove the circled portion of my car, so i can knock out a dent. I removed all of the bolts from the inside portion facing the hood, but it wont come lose, what did i miss?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
As I understand it (and it's been a while), there are bolts to remove under the front headlight that affix the inner front fender to the bumper.

You also have to remove the bolts from behind the door. Open the door and a 6" socket extension will fit into the gap. I don't think you have to remove the lower cladding.

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks im going to give it a shot, if i have problems (which i will) ill be back thanks! i hope your on later :) this is the girlfriend trying to get the boyfriend help

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where under the light, i am so lost..i got the bolts that keep the light in the car, so the light is loose, but where are the others?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Remove the side marker light and then you should be able to see the bolt. It bolts to the body piece under the headlight.

You do not have to remove the headlight itself, just the marker. Pull the fender up and forward after all the bolts are out.

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i have all the bolts removed, how much pressure do i need to safely pull this sucker out, and what about the rubber connector that is hooking the fender to a small metal runner going up the side of the windshield? thanks soooo much

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i must have missed something, i tried with all my might to yank it off. can you think of any other bolts? or anything?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
It got really cold really quick here...pry that circular plastic rivet out with a flat head screw driver.

Look in the inner fender under where the wheel sits, see if there are any other screws. There is one at the rear where the plastic inner fender bolts to what I think is the outer fender (what you're trying to remove). I can't see underneath my car as I only have the street light I parked under.

Hopefully someone else chimes in as I can't remember if you have to remove that lower cladding piece. I really doubt you do.

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your awesome thank you SO much for helping me!! sorry canada is cold :( florida has mosquitoes..no good im gonna go pry that piece out and see where that leaves me

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that solved the problem of the runner on the windshield, but it still feels like the fender is connected to something. could there perhaps be more bolts under the plastic piece that separates the fender from the wheel thing? (sorry about girl language) i tried to take the fender off but i picked up the wheel off the ground! it has to still be connected somewhere

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i really really appreciate this, i ran into a basketball hoop in my boyfriends car and thats how i got this lovely dent, but were trying to bang it out (2 twenty year olds taking apart a car) thank you so much for your help, i couldnt afford taking it in to a repair shop THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Alright, remove the plastic trim that runs the length of the car. There's a series of 8mm bolts that fasten it to the floor pan underneath.

There are a total of 3 bolts for the fender that are removed by opening the door. If removing the long trim piece does not reveal all the bolts, then the last resort is to remove that lower cladding piece.

There is a trick to removing the cladding. You have to pull forward or backward; a forum search may uncover the answer. Logically though, for that piece you would pull forwards (it's got no clearance to go any other way other than down).

I'm 20 as well; there's nothing wrong with the right 20 year old taking apart a car:thumbsup: You'll do fine.

As far as dent removal goes, grace and patience are the success factors here. Do not try to remove it with one foul whack, do it with a broad faced body hammer and gently hit it in circles around the dent. Progressively increase your force if no results are seen, but start lightly.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
There are 2 10mm bolts under the molding, that will need to come off. If you pull the bottom molding out from the bottom and then slide it down towards the ground it will come off. there are 8mm screws that hold the rocker molding on (the long molding)pull from under the car outwards and it will come off, be carefull as the plastic clips like to snap.

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so its 2 separate bolts that are no where near eachother? and can you please explain what the rocker molding and the regular molding per say is? i cant thank ya'll enough for this

i need layman's terms, and how do i get the trim off and i feel like im asking alot of you im sending you cookies for xmas, you 2 benz560

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
There are 2 moldings, one is on the fender, its the small one, the other is the one that goes from the front wheelwell all the way back to the rear wheelwell, you do not need to remove the long one completely, just the 2 8mm screws at the very front. the molding on the fender will just pop off, grab it at the bottom and pull gently outwards, when the clips release you will know it, then gently slide the molding towards the ground and it will cime off. scratch the cookies I want a pumpkin pie.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ok, The red writing shows the bolts you need to remove. The yellow shows the molding you need to remove, pull out on the very bottom of that molding, and when the clips let loose just slide the molding towards the ground. The green writing shows the rocker molding, only the first 2 or so screws will need to be removed at the front so the the fender will be free from it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts