Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling my hair out trying to locate the SRS front impact sensors on my W210 E430, model year 2000. Any help out there?

I've had a close look at a bunch of similar vehicles in the junk yard. Some of the slightly newer models have these sensors easily accessible near the top of the strut housing. On the '97, '99, '00, and '01 E-class (W210), I have looked very hard in many places (wheel well, around radiator, against support beams, etc.) but can't find, and can't even find the wiring leads that would connect to the sensors. Starting to wonder if these cars even have the sensor, but my mechanic is telling me that's what's keeping my SRS light on in my '00 E430.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 E430
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe he used a proper scanner. In addition to 'a' missing front impact sensor, the scan indicated a problem with the main control module, which I am attempting to address by swapping with another used one.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd try to obtain a replacement (used) front impact sensor, but, as I mentioned, I can't figure out where in the car they are located.

Note that I bought this vehicle 'as is' for $500 from a tow operator, as a project to 'flip' with one of my boys. I learned that some parts had been pulled. Except for this SRS issue, the car is now 100%.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 235K miles
10,351 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car has side impact sensors. They are located underneath the rear seat, near the battery. They are Bosch sensors, which is how I was able to determine that I needed a Bosch master module, as opposed to Temic.

I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to if my car has front impact sensors, since I haven't been able to find them. For Mercedes cars that do have the sensors, they are generally located on the frame, kinda underneath/behind the washer fluid reservoir on the driver side. On other Mercedes, I've also found them near the top of the strut housing, on both sides on the engine bay.

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,351 Posts
Ask your mechanic what "b" codes he retrieved from the restraint computer. For W210s after 1999, the only sensor codes are B1310 and B1311 for the right and left side airbag sensors.

Obtain the codes and post them here.

Attachments

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,351 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 E430
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that's what I was expecting to find in my car.

The replacement main SRS control module should reach me on Friday or Saturday. Will install and test, and hope to know more thereafter.

Thanks again.

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,351 Posts
The attached is for W211, behind the passenger headlight assembly. B48/1 and / 2 have specific codes for the models that they are installed.

Replacement of the control unit may not reset the SRS. In this case, the codes need to be reset by the STAR DAS.

Attachments

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,351 Posts
You also should note that the SRS controller module must match to your car via programming through HHT(win). I think you end up entering the VIN number to be transferred to the unit.

If the PO replaced the SRS controller without programming, the controller may be looking for sensors that do not exist for your car.

The same applies for the replacement controller you are waiting for.

That is why I asked the fault codes, and the controller configuration info (hardware / software / sensor / squib options etc).

I would just retrieve the Controller info from the existing unit first It could just be a matter of re-programming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pulling my hair out trying to locate the SRS front impact sensors on my W210 E430, model year 2000. Any help out there?

I've had a close look at a bunch of similar vehicles in the junk yard. Some of the slightly newer models have these sensors easily accessible near the top of the strut housing. On the '97, '99, '00, and '01 E-class (W210), I have looked very hard in many places (wheel well, around radiator, against support beams, etc.) but can't find, and can't even find the wiring leads that would connect to the sensors. Starting to wonder if these cars even have the sensor, but my mechanic is telling me that's what's keeping my SRS light on in my '00 E430.

Thoughts? Thanks.
i ran into the same problem, its there pretty much in that location point on. i believe its connected by shrink wrap to the side bumper turning signal. it took me two day to figure out thats whats hanging from the bottom of my car( front passager) which was also causing the SRS light to come on. After reconnected the sensor the light was gone problem fixed.

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,351 Posts
i ran into the same problem, its there pretty much in that location point on. i believe its connected by shrink wrap to the side bumper turning signal. it took me two day to figure out thats whats hanging from the bottom of my car( front passager) which was also causing the SRS light to come on. After reconnected the sensor the light was gone problem fixed.
Please update your profile with your car's model, and model year, so readers will know if your findings are applicable to their vehicles. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.