Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is strange and i was hoping someone could let me know what the hell is going on.

about a year ago i replaced the front brake pads on my '85 300cd. got a new set from the dealer, and they were too thick. i had the dealer call the manufacturer...long story short the dealer said that those were the correct ones and that i would have to file them down. i did it and everything was fine.

the other day i was screwing around and damaged a pad, so i went to advance auto parts to get a new set of front pads and when i got them home, same problem...way too thick. what the hell is going on here? has anyone successfully purchased a set of front pads that fit or is there some larger issue here?

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
verify what caliper brand is on your car, get on line to autohauz arizona or whoever you use and order the correct pad. thats it. sounds like they are giving you the correct pads, for the incorrect caliper. there were 3 brands of calipers used on those benz'. it will be stamped somewhere on the caliper.
you should NEVER have to file down something like that. good luck

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
I hope this is not an obvious question, but are you compressing the caliper pistons all the way?

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D
23 Posts
I've only had my car long enough to have to change the pads one time. I bought the cheap lifetime Duralast (YAY! lol) from Autozone, it's what I could afford. Didn't have a problem getting them on there at all. Would have been nice knowing these things didn't have slider bolts before hand though! If I would have known this when I bought the pads, I would have gotten brake quite instead of slider bolt grease! Now I have slider bolt grease that I can't use, and sqeaky friggin brakes! Ah, oh well....win some, lose some. I wouldn't think you'd need to file anything either though, especially if you're still useing the old worn down rotors! If you have to file down the pads with old rotors, imagine how it would be with nice new thick ones!

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
I just replaced my front brakes and calipers and did not have your problem- although it was a tight fit and needed to go in just right. I had a repair manual that helped determine the correct caliper and pad combination. I probably would not have filed the brake pads- rather have figured out what combination is incorrect. I could be wrong, but it's hard to believe you would have to do that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info...just wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue. i'll have to check what brand caliper i have and go from there. not an issue right now anyway, i was just curious. i need to put in new shocks and fix the a/c first.

·
Registered
w123 1985 300d
19 Posts
i have 126 calipers on my 123 and new pads fit with no problem, i dont think your compressing the caliper so that the new pads can fit. btw sean, i think the sqeaky brakes are a result of you not resurfacing your rotors.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
General consensus is that Mercedes rotors should not be turned. There just isn't enough meat on them plus new ones are relatively cheap. In the 25 years I've owned Mercedes, I've never turned a rotor and have never had a squeak.

Len

·
Registered
1983 300d
98 Posts
Had the same problem. The ones I got from Mercedes were too thick and the ones from NAPA autoparts were fine. Struggled with the thick ones for a while before I picked up a new set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts