Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 C 230 Sport,Pewter,Black leather, 43,000 mi.;1992 400e Sedan,182,000 mi .
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I've found an excellent replacement drivers side front fender for my recently acquired W124 diesel sedan(rust in the fender arch ). The fender is at a pick and pull lot. I have used the search function and the online repair manual and now know how to remove the fender. My question is: how do I remove the " cladding " at the fender bottom without breaking it ? This needs to be done to access the bolts at the bottom of the fender. The fender and "cladding" are in perfect condition and the correct color so I would like to preserve the condition of the parts as much as possible. Any suggestions as to how to perform this task would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tony V.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,258 Posts
The cladding is attached with plastic tabs/ears or "clips" that are part of the cladding.

Just be careful when you remove them and you should be fine. After all, you are dealing with 20 year old plastic.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Sbaert, Is the best way to detach the cladding by using a thin flat tool to push down behind the cladding to release the clips? Or is it best to pry out on the cladding from behind as the pictures in the manual suggests? Thanks again, Tony V.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,258 Posts
In my experience with the cladding, the only tool you need are your hands.

The key is to avoid putting stress in any one spot of the ears. Using your fingers helps spread the load/pulling force across the whole tab area.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
611 Posts
Yeah, you want to be careful with that piece of cladding, because there's a part of it that wraps around the back side of the fender itself. If you pull indiscriminately, you can break that right off. I learned that on a junkyard car. :(

I used plastic pry tools to get mine off, and I did so with a fast, firm pry - not a gradual tugging. This seemed more effective, with less chance to bend the cladding itself.

There are a lot of threads on this forum, and on the 500E board, related to cladding For this particular piece, this one's good:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...t-fender-molding-cladding-removal-w124-2.html

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
That is absolutely great stuff! Thanks for posting the link. Really good to know the shape of those tabs and clips. And how easy it will be for me to snap the corner of my drivers' side door once I get the parts. Much obliged!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Yes! I just had a chance to review your post. It is great, I believe it will be a significant help to me in preserving the excellent cladding that is on the fender I will be pulling for my 1991 300D. I will post my experiences when I remove the fender. Thanks a great deal, Tony V.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.