Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'92 300SE, 203k
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the pics from another thread (below - thanks to 'sss11' in Singapore), I've realised that when I tried to unblock the rubber drain hose from the the gulley below my windscreen, I've pushed it too hard and disconnected it.



So instead of the water going down the rubber hose you can see in the pics to the wheel arch, it's going down to the sill and along that instead, which will probably result in premature rusting of the sill... [xx(] I want to reconnect the hose and check for any rust in this area behind the fender.

Has anyone removed a W126 front fender before? How hard is it? I read in another thread that they're bolted AND glued on. Do I need to remove any other items like the turn light or front bumper?

Thanks guys!

Clive
 

·
Moderator
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Hi _CA_,

Can't say I've done it but it does look to be a straightforward kind of job, with maybe a bit of fiddling...

Here is the MB procedure..

Cheers, MBL
 

Attachments

·
Registered
'92 300SE, 203k
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SO much for this - perfect! I really should get myself a manual I guess. Can you check your private messages please?
 

·
Registered
w115-240D, w115-300D, w201-190e (3), w123-300D w201-190d
Joined
·
352 Posts
CA , while trying to get the fender off a w123 in a wrecking yard , I found that the glue was nearly as strong as the bolts and I was unable to remove the fender without doing damage to its shape .

Possibly there is a trick that someone else can help us here with.
 

·
Registered
1997 S420
Joined
·
136 Posts
Removed the left side on my car a couple of weeks ago, can't say I came across any glue, the only tricky bits were removing the plastic trim at the rear of the wheel arch and a couple of M5 nuts hidden behind the trim under the headlight, the only substance I can think may be holding it would be the wax like rust prevention coating
 

·
Registered
'92 300SE, 203k
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi hoggy,

What do you mean by 'the plastic trim at the rear of the wheel arch'? Do you have to remove the plastic moulding attached to the exterior of the panel, or are you talking about something inside the wheel arch?
 

·
Registered
1997 S420
Joined
·
136 Posts
Yes the plastic moulding on the exterior of the panel, it has two clips on the bottom, once these have been released by gently prising out at the bottom edge, use something flat that won't scratch the paint, move the plastic mounding towards the front of the car and the remaining clips will release, you will then see 3 mounting bolts for the panel, search this forum I believe you will find more info on this subject
 

·
Registered
'92 300SE, 203k
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great. I think I now understand every step of the process so it should be plain sailing tomorrow. I'll post some pics to show you how I get on and what state the body is in behind the wing (sorry, I mean fender [;)])...

Clive
 

·
Registered
'92 300SE, 203k
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've done it and it wasn't hard at all [:)]. The only thing the instructions don't tell you about is a small black plastic clip at the bottom of the windscreen pillar which clamps the trim at the edge of the windscreen to the wing itself. It's in two parts, a central pin and a plug that surrounds it. You have to pull the pin out first and then tug / twist the plug out.

The wing (sorry, fender) is still off at the moment because I'm waiting for the rust-killer to do its stuff.

The drain hose had come off, as expected, thanks to me poking a wire down it from above on a previous attempt to unblock it. But the interesting thing was that the pipe wasn't blocked as I thought, it had just sort of kinked and collapsed on itself. I'm not sure what had caused this, maybe just age. It had also split slightly at the kink.

I should really order a new hose, but I've just put a cable tie around the pipe to re-shape it and stop it from kinking again. Cheap and effective (I hope!).

I did find some rust behind the wing, it's where the seam sealer they apply in the factory has become brittle or wasn't applied in sufficient quantity, so rust has crept in. It's nothing major, but it will only get worse so I'm glad I've caught it early.

As for the original source of the leak, the rust in the gulley under the windscreen, I've wire-brushed it, treated it with rust-killer and will be slapping some epoxy over the top, which should hopefully plug the hole and prevent any further rust. This would be a much easier job with the windscreen out, but I'm not doing that!

So all in all, a successful day (as long as I get the fender back on with decent panel gaps!). Shame it's only a few degrees above freezing out there though, brrr.
 

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top