Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen a lot of pictures from restaurations on this site, multiple times I came across these panels here

They are supposed to go somewhere under the front fenders, however on disassembly of mine I did not come across them. Are these maybe only for pre-85 cars or?? I think they are referred to as splash guards, and since post 85's already have the plastic splash guards in the front wheel wells I thought maybe these were not on the later models. Part numbers are: A1078840135 / A1078840235, if someone has a picture of these mounted that'd be great !!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
They go on the inside behind the wheel opening, keeps dirt etc from accumulating in that rust prone area. Mine were shot and I left them off so I can spray clean water thru there when I wash it. The car is a fair weather car now anyway.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,008 Posts
EPC calls it a partition panel. It does not show it in the post '85 model years diagram. You may be right about the plastic wheel house liners eliminating the need for them.

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,304 Posts
Looks like this. I tried leaving it in place as a fender brace along with the plastic liner but their is not enough room for both.
Quick add, in N/A, only the 560 recieved the plastic liner. Everybody else, according to the EPC, got the steel brace.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,008 Posts
You missed the 300SL. And the ROTW 560SL. Japan/Australia

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Mine were shot, I repaired one by welding and one was replaced entirely. I also replaced the seals. Misinstalled or bad seals might make things even worse than not having them at all. My 380SL is a daily driver (winter too) and for me getting these right was crucial.

There was also "body putty" involved between the plate and inner fender, which is a butyl rubber "rope". I used MB's version of this to install my panels, but I've since found this in a caulking tube format for much less.

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the info. I was actually planning to maybe adding them next to my plastic wheel house liners, but if they don't fit together than that's a no go... What is weird then though, is that SLS HH (a big supplier of Mercedes SL stuff on this side of the ocean) does state on it's website one for post 85 models, see link :

SLS | splash guard RH ->'85 splash guard RH ->'85 | purchase online

Maybe, since it being a reproduction panel, they made it in such a way that there would be room enough for both these panels AND the plastic liners?? Then again I'll just stick with the plastic ones for now, since they seem to do a pretty good job on mine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was actually planning to maybe adding them next to my plastic wheel house liners, but if they don't fit together than that's a no go...
They can fit together. I have both, the liners (newly installed) and the partition panels as this pic from Google shows…. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They can fit together. I have both, the liners (newly installed) and the partition panels as this pic from Google shows…. Hope it helps.
Oh, it definately does! So do you happen to know / remember how these are mounted? Is it just bolted, or? Because on my inner structure I can't see any holes where the bolts should go... Did you maybe retrofit the liners by tapping screws for them Elrick??

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I have a set of the plastic shields, and I would like to install them, but (US) pre-86 cars have no holes to mount them to and theoretically, I could carefully transfer those measurements from my 86 (which has them) to my 85 (which doesn't) but with my luck, I would drill through a brake line, 0 gauge battery wire, rubber hose, or something else vital under the hood.

This liner is an adjunct to, and not a replacement for, the metal shields. And, it's not just good for shielding the rear of the wheel well, it also stops the rust above the headlights and at the lower front of the fenders from getting started.

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a set of the plastic shields, and I would like to install them, but (US) pre-86 cars have no holes to mount them to and theoretically, I could carefully transfer those measurements from my 86 (which has them) to my 85 (which doesn't) but with my luck, I would drill through a brake line, 0 gauge battery wire, rubber hose, or something else vital under the hood.
I think you can very well add them, see following link:
Mercedes R107 SL Restoration: Post '85 Wheel Arch Liners Retrofit

This liner is an adjunct to, and not a replacement for, the metal shields. And, it's not just good for shielding the rear of the wheel well, it also stops the rust above the headlights and at the lower front of the fenders from getting started.
I might disagree, as I think my car came without. As Rowdie stated before, the EPC doesn't show the metal shields for my car (post 85), and I can tell you the plastic liners really do not let ANY water pass as long as the rubber seal piece is well installed with it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh, it definately does! So do you happen to know / remember how these are mounted? Is it just bolted, or? Because on my inner structure I can't see any holes where the bolts should go... Did you maybe retrofit the liners by tapping screws for them Elrick??
They (the partition panels) are fitted with self-tapping screws (see pic) 6mm dia X 18mm long. I replaced the original screws with stainless steel screws and washers. I used the same screws for the liners and drilled several 5mm holes on the inner wings carefully to prevent drilling any installed wires, components, etc.

The holes for the partition panels might be hidden in your model by the MB underseal and once you place them in situ you might poke with a punch to find them as the replacement inner wings for pre and post ’85 are the same part No. A1076205361 superseded from previous PNs. Though MB has a caveat ‘to be adapted’. Perhaps you may have to drill the holes with a 5mm drill to fix them. I suggest to apply a strip of butyl to the inner edge of the partition panels, although with liners already in your model it might not be necessary. ~ Hope it helps.

Retrofitting the liners is a great improvement in rust prevention to fenders and headlights as you rightly mention!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,304 Posts
The shields are not a problem to install. My 75 also had no holes but there is a "pocket" for lack of a better term at the rear of the shield and it's location on the car is pretty obvious. Then just push it into place, it will follow the contour of the car, and add screws. My fender was not in place so it might be harder than I make it sound. We also had the brace and shield installed, the problem came when we tried to install the fender. The bottom was too far from the car body and the fender would distort when pushed in. Removing the brace cured it. Be sure and use the shields, the picture shows what happens without them.
Benz wants 87.20 apiece, cheap insurance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shields are not a problem to install. My 75 also had no holes but there is a "pocket" for lack of a better term at the rear of the shield and it's location on the car is pretty obvious. Then just push it into place, it will follow the contour of the car, and add screws. My fender was not in place so it might be harder than I make it sound. We also had the brace and shield installed, the problem came when we tried to install the fender. The bottom was too far from the car body and the fender would distort when pushed in. Removing the brace cured it. Be sure and use the shields, the picture shows what happens without them.
Benz wants 87.20 apiece, cheap insurance.
I think your (horrible but good) example shows really well what happens if you don't have the plasic liners, not so much the metal shields. The metal shields were used on the pre-85 models to shield the lower section of your front fenders, where the 'ribs' are located (below the fender trim), but still exposing the upper part of the support structure and front part of the fender (headlights) which were therefore very rust prone area's.

On my car, once the plastic liners were removed, I could look between the fender and inner structure through a 2 inch gap because of the 'missing' metal shields. What would be interesting to know is if the post 85 models (560, 500, 420, 300) came standard without the metal shields and only the plastic liners.

However I do still think that having the plastic liners installed correctly with the rubber seals make the metal shields obsolete when it comes to rust protection. I think it's one of the best choices you can make when it comes to spending some cash on a retrofit upgrade to pre-85 models, apparently it doesn't take more than drilling some screws in the weel well to attach the liners to.

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kind of interesting to note that the shields appear to be different shapes. I know I bought mine from Benz.
I think we should be clear on the naming for these things, you have the partition panels in metal = shields, and you have the round plastic liners.

With regards to the latter, I believe there is a difference in shape between the left side and right side, possible even between RHD and LHD. Also, on the picture to the left of your 75 I don't see the metal shields installed, correct?

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,304 Posts
Seeing as how Benz calls both pieces partition panels, how about "partition panel 0335" for the plastic and "partiton panel 0135" for the metal in reference to their part #'s. My 0335's were mirror images of each other also the part #'s for Japan (right hand drive) are the same as the N/A. As stated in post #13, we had to remove the 0135's to make the fender fit correctly.

·
Registered
1987 300SL 5sp
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,008 Posts
Just to be clear.

Plastic partitions:
Left -107 884 03 05
Right - 107 884 04 05
Seal for plastic partition 107 884 01 98. One per side.

Metal partitions:
Left - 107 884 01 35
Right - 107 884 02 35
Seal - 110 884 00 98. One per side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts