Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ML 350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1985 300D recently died so I just bought a 2001 320ML with 86000 miles on it, from a private party. At mid range speed, it feels like the entire car is swaying, or rocking back and forth ... as if you are on a subway, or someone is turning the steering wheel back and forth at about one cycle per second. Almost makes you sea sick. Does not seem to occur at low or high speed. It does not seem to have the frequence or shimmy of a wheel that is out of balance. HELP. I don't know what this might be related to, or where to start looking. Struts? Power steering ? What is 'body roll' ? ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
My first thoughts would be to check the condition of the tires, their pressure, and then get an alignment.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
In addition to what bocabenz said above, I'd also check the:

swaybar/stabiliser bushings/connections
shock absorbers
tie rod ends

·
Registered
2010 ML 350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys for the advice. Tires seem in good shape. I did check the tire pressure - 40 PSI back and 37 PSI front - way higher than the recommended 29 PSI listed inside gas fill cap. Might that cause the problem ? I'll also check the underside steering components for play and slack. Does anyone know what an alignment might cost ? Obviously a good idea to get the tires ballanced and wheels aligned anyway.

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
also ..does it depend on the road you are driving..like noce tar road ..do you experience the same?

·
Registered
2010 ML 350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to drive different on different roads at different speeds around the 35-50 MPH range. No set rule. It's an occilating motion from side to side. It's a sideways rocking motion that feels like someone is pushing on the side of the car. I'm also confused about tire pressure. The fuel lid states 29 PSI front and back and the drivers door indicates 32 PSI front andf 39 PSI back. My pressure measures 36 front and 41 back. Seems a bit high. Thanks !

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
i am experiencing something similar on my ML500 but it is very road centric.. on smooth tar roads ..it is smooth...but cement block roads it shows up ..i was assuming it was the road.

·
Registered
2010 ML 350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all .... it just might be the specific road that makes it go into an occilation. My wife drove it on the NJ Parkway yesterday and said she did not experience the problem at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts