Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Front end STILL high after front strut replacement

2457 Views 11 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
Well, it's been 6 weeks since I replaced my front struts with the OEM Bilsteins. By comparison with the other 190's, and of what i remember, my front end sits about 2 inches higher then it used to. In fact, the dust boots I've got with the struts are too short to be properly installed. I checked EVERYTHING, plus I had a mechanic (not my Merc guy) check the front end. He said struts seemed to be properly installed. On top of that, I have this God-awful squeek coming from the rear suspension on every bump. Any thoughts on the subject? Oh, and where can I get 14 mm allen wrench??
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I too am getting a bad squeek from my rear suspension,, i put it up on a lift and lubed the rear suspension like crazy, but it didnt help, i used some penetrating oil on the springs and that quieted it some,,, the 190 is an awsome car but the sounds that come from the rear axle and suspension are starting to wear on me,, i wonder if any of you guys know how to do a 'tune up' to the rear of the car? my car would be perfect if it wasnt for the clunks and squeeks i get from the rear of the 190. ciao

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too am getting a bad squeek from my rear suspension,, i put it up on a lift and lubed the rear suspension like crazy, but it didnt help, i used some penetrating oil on the springs and that quieted it some,,, the 190 is an awsome car but the sounds that come from the rear axle and suspension are starting to wear on me,, i wonder if any of you guys know how to do a 'tune up' to the rear of the car? my car would be perfect if it wasnt for the clunks and squeeks i get from the rear of the 190. ciao

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, Nate (or anybody else that cares...)

Hey, Nate, could you do me a favor? Could you park on a level pavement and measure the distance from the gound to the bottom lip (at its highest point) of the front wheelwell?? I think maybe I'm going nuts... also, what size tire do you carry?? thanx..

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: hey, Nate (or anybody else that cares...)

I'll see what I can do my friend. I need some new tires, and my buddy (when ever he gets the damn car) is going to give me his 300E wheels. I don't know if they will work with my car or not, can't get a straight answer outta anyone.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thanx!! Sorry, no idea about the wheels. I finally put my foot down and willput in a new AC compressor and get a pair of new rear struts in. I think the squeek is coming from the spring support arm bushing.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It is about 27 and 1/4'. It wasn't perfectly level ground... but not too much of an incline and a full tank of diesel. So you can take those things into account that will make it a little higher than usual.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thougt about it, but the springs were not moved, so the pads should remain in the same position. I upgraded to 'plus 0' tires (from 185/65/15 to 195/60/15) but this should not change the height of the tires. the space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheelwell is about 4 fingers up front and 2 fingers in the rear (that's my fingers). The other 190's have even spacing (about 2 fingers or 1 1/4 inches). I'm going nuts!! Hey, Manny, you've got to tell Ron to read these posts-ordering would be easier-I'd just referenced the post!!! ;-))

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Rear Squeek

I just fixed a rear squeek in my 16V. Was an annoying noise whenever I entered/exited, went over a bump or pushed on the rear. Turned out to be the rear track rod (tie rod). The boot had a slight tear. Your`s might be different, but it is a place to look.<br>
<br>
Tinker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.